Devon meet up and working party: UPDATE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Right, after a few spanners in the works I've changed my plans a little for next week's activities but things are still happening!

Alex (charcoal monkey) is still coming to do some work for me but he is no longer running his course at the weekend, so the two burns most likely aren't happening. Instead he (and I when not hiding in the workshop) will be doing some woodland clearing. Not entirely sure what he has in mind but I'm sure it will involve billhooks and saws somewhere! :D

I figure that having folks around to help out would be most productive if there are multiple helpers all together at the same time rather than sporadically through the week. So anybody who is feeling up for a bit of woodland work mid week is welcome to join us on WEDNESDAY for the day.

Kev from Endicotts has just sold me a couple of parachutes and is going to be coming out then to help put them up and generally lend a hand, so that's still a go go.

The main spanner I have is that I've now got to go over to Westpoint to a blacksmith things (I say got to go, more like I really should go and have said I would now :rolleyes: ). So nothing happening on saturday. but since it's a bank holiday weekend, I figure anybody who is still up for helping out at the weekend then we still have sunday and monday!

I've just bought an extension to my workshop and it should be arriving towards the end of the week. It shouldn't be too bad to put up (big shed really), but will take a couple of bodies.

Work wise, this is now my plan:

- Build my workshop extension
- Clear dead trees from camping area and cut for firewood
- Hang a couple of parachutes (one over campfire and one over green woodworking area)
- Build a bender shed like the one below
- Clearing with Alex
- Build new shave horses

this 'shed' was built a few months ago and is just a place to stick stuff that lives near the workshop and needs to stay dry (the usual junk that one has in a shed!). I need to build one near the outdoor forges to store course kit and chairs, etc.
shed1.jpg

I figure that since all work and no play makes jack a dull boy, we should have our Long Awaited Party at the same time. We've been talking about a meet up for ages but not really got to it. So how about Sunday evening for a beer and a sausage around the campfire at my place? :campfire:

Even those who can't (or don't want to) come and help out are invited. Sunday evening (5 pm onwards) is a social gathering and people are welcome to camp over if they like :camping:

So, if you would like to come along and you don't know where you are going, then you had best get in touch with me or blag a lift with somebody who does! If anybody can come along for the wednesday then please let me know so I can make sure I have enough tea bags

Hopefully I shall be seeing some friendly faces next weekend :grouphug:

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
So, who is coming to help out on sunday/monday?

So far it looks like it will only be a couple of people out there to play in the woods on a lovely weekend!

Also, even if you don't fancy getting dirty, what about the offer of a meet up and jar of brew on sunday night? any takers?:beerchug:

C da C, Mat, Justin, Lorna(sp?), Harry, etc I hope you are all coming! for a drink at least :pokenest:

p.s. If anybody else wants a day out tomorrow, then give me a call 0776 474 2569, lots of stuff needs burning before the parachutes can go up!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I don't think Lorna and I can make this one Dave :( I'm working Sunday and Monday, and Lorna's got an early start on Monday morning. Deffo catch up soon though mate :)

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I am planning on coming up for the Sunday and probably staying the night as well! :camping:

I'm driving up from Exmouth, so if anyone is along my route and wants a lift, let me know and we can arrange when, where, and whether to stay the night or not.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks anyway Leon, if you are around for a drink sunday eveing then you are welcome anyway ;)

Well, today Zarkwon and Kevin from Endicotts were the only people to make it out, but we still got a few bits done :) With their help, myself and Alex (charcoal man) got a load of brash cleared burnt and we managed to get the beginnings of a new bender-shed started. So come sunday we can finish it off and get on with other things hopefully :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE