Deliverance.... The Film

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I watched this film many years ago, long before I got the bug that is Bushcraft.

I can quite clearly remember thinking (while watching..) that wouldn`t it be great to do the same thing. A bunch a friends going on an adventure in the wild, canoeing down a river and a spot of hunting, sounded and looked fantastic !!
But as we all know, things didnt go to plan and a rather nasty situation unfolds. This shocked me at the time and hasn`t really gone away, to a degree that I dont ever fancy going solo in the wild.
I know the chance of these types of things (I dont mean only rape) happening to someone are SO remote as to be insignificant.

Sorry to go on, but the question is this:
How do you guys/girls feel about solo travel - esp in area`s like the USA where there are alternate lifestyles (Hillbillys / Survivalists etc) and perhaps less reguard for the law.

Have you ever felt in danger or been in danger by `the locals` somewhere you have no contact to emergency services etc..
I remember Ray Mears telling me he once had a weapon put to his stomach !! :shock:

Sorry if its a stupid question but it has bugged me ever since that film!!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'm only worried when hear banjos playing!!!! :shock:

Seriously though, James Dickey didn't do an accurate job of portraying Georgia life ... he was heavily criticized and the book was once described as "the most demeaning characterization of southern highlanders in modern literature" ... which is an understatement I think!

Could this happen? Maybe. Would it be likely? Dunno, probably not. There are murders along the trails in the US but nothing on that scale.

I don't think it's a movie you want to watch before a solo trip (add to that the Blair Witch Project and Dog Soldiers too!).

Mar 2, 2004
lol,i agree .the blair witch scared the sh1t out of me.and my sphincter clenches when i hear those banjos.seriously though i think its always better to go with someone else when possible ..just in case..even from the viewpoint of company.you gotta be really sane to go into the woods on your own or your own mind will spook you.i couldnt do it.did you ever see that simpsons episode where homer sees the glowing figure in the forest? dosent bear thinking about!

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
As someone who is spending yet another night alone in an old 100 room house with a bit of a presence - I would rather be in the woods and blaming it on wildliffe :cry:

On the lone travel issue - you are much more likely to fall over and break your neck, or fall down a big hole and starve etc. than play piggy to a man with a broad country accent. :yikes:

I think that the buddy system is the way forward, but there are times when you just have to be alone.

Prepare, take care and enjoy life - you might get run over on your way back to the car to drive home. :wink:

PS. Blair Witch sucked!!!!!! Just made me feel motion sick and fed up with runny noses :) Only saw Deliverance last year. Dog Soldiers was cool, and Homer Simpson Rules :You_Rock_

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Going solo is somthing I have thought about a lot over the passed few weeks. Part of the reason is simply because it's so hard to find a buddy with the same time off.

I used to spend alot of time when I was younger out on my own but I was never more the 5-10 miles away from home and new everyone around the area.

I don't think it would really be a big problem here in Ireland or anywhere else in the British Isles as you are never that far from civilisation so to speak but I think traveling outside the country say to the US or were the language is different it would be a better idea to have someone with you.

I very rarely travel in the city on my own and if I am I usually stick to areas I known really well. I find them far more unnerving.

James

Mar 2, 2004
i know what you mean james,im self employed and make my own time which dosent suit others.i think all in all irish people are friendly usually,you dont find many as*holes wandering about in the woods,usually like minded people enjoying the outdoors.saying that though i always carry a stick with a point in case i disturb a dog or badger.do you find it a problem lighting fires down there when your out? forrestry up here hardly lets you light a disposable bar-b-q!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Technically not a match to be struck and as of the 29th of March that will like every pub down here. Added to that and there's only 8% of the land forested down here it makes things even more difficult to get away into the woods. :-(

I don't smoke but I always get worried when Gov's start making life choices decisions like this for Adults.

James

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Don't think I'll ever go outdoors alone again! :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE