Dehydrated Liver.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone dehydrated Liver in a home dehydrator ??

Liver is nutrient dense and relatively cheap - just wondering if its doable.

Taste wise it may taste like a little Donkey.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My suspicion is it will dry and break up to a powder like consistency; there's not fibrous texture like in beef - I may be wrong. Can't quite bring myself to try it somehow :)

On the other hand, I do like a lightly cooked liver with black pepper and simple mash and peas :) - maybe a liver-jerky with pepper spicing?

Reactions: Madriverrob

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If it doesn't work, you could always use it to resole your boots!:)
I was going to seriously suggest liver leather if the liver doesn't hold up on it's own. That way you could add other ingredients such as chilli and garlic to improve the flavour if you don't like plain liver.

Somewhat strangely there are recipes for it - but aimed for dogs. Can't see any reason not to give it a try for human consumption.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cook it first. I can see maybe freeze-drying as an ugly option but straight jerky type dehydration, I would not eat that in the middle of nowhere.
If you really like fried liver with onions and bacon, get it all prepped for your fist supper in the bush to celebrate your escape from the city.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have been known to produce a generous bottle of Gran Marnier in the middle of nowhere (or quite close to it.) 100ml each is adequate.

This is a disgusting thread. Got the liver. Got the onions. Got the bacon.
A mercy trip to the liquor store this afternoon ought to finish my dinner prep.

Chianti, you said? My common plonk is a CabSauv from Chile. Dozens of very respectable vintages. Same for Argentina.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have been known to produce a generous bottle of Gran Marnier in the middle of nowhere (or quite close to it.) 100ml each is adequate.

This is a disgusting thread. Got the liver. Got the onions. Got the bacon.
A mercy trip to the liquor store this afternoon ought to finish my dinner prep.

Chianti, you said? My common plonk is a CabSauv from Chile. Dozens of very respectable vintages. Same for Argentina.

Well , as ever , thanks for your input.

Once again , I feel enriched..

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Let us know if you survive!
I've been looking at Native American meat preserving, and I can find nothing about liver being preserved in that way at all. They are real experts at this sort of thing.
Liver was always eaten straight away.....raw even, perhaps there is a reason why they didn't preserve it lost in the mists of time and tradition.
You are braver than me!
I'll eat it gently cooked with my own recipe for lambs liver, bacon, and onions, but I'm not comming to yours for dinner if you put dried liver in front of me!!!! Bleugh! Sorry Tee Dee! But I do applaud your bravery and resolve to try anything.
I hope you survive! :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Let us know if you survive!
I've been looking at Native American meat preserving, and I can find nothing about liver being preserved in that way at all. They are real experts at this sort of thing.
Liver was always eaten straight away.....raw even, perhaps there is a reason why they didn't preserve it lost in the mists of time and tradition.
You are braver than me!
I'll eat it gently cooked with my own recipe for lambs liver, bacon, and onions, but I'm not comming to yours for dinner if you put dried liver in front of me!!!! Bleugh! Sorry Tee Dee! But I do applaud your bravery and resolve to try anything.
I hope you survive! :)

I suspect organs meats due to their structure may take longer to dry out. I at least have the advantage of a modern day dehydrator.

I'm only looking at this from a nutrition point of view , if I reheated my Liver in a works microwave i'd imagine I would get lynched.

So its either dehydrated or cold cooked liver..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd cook it first, in seasoning, and let it cool down really well while still in the jus.
Slice it thin and take out any tubular bits.
I don't eat meat, but if dehydrated rabbit and hare work I don't see why liver ought not.
I think it might be better left as jerky rather than re-hydrated though.

No experience of it at all, but good on you having a go at it :)

We can buy, well we could, no idea if we still can, dehydrated pigs blood to make black pudding.
If that can be dried and eaten I can't see why liver can't.

M

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I guess it's one thing to have the ability to smoke dry meat foods ( fibrous muscle, clams, oysters, fish.) The other issue would be the keeping quality particularly of the meat (liver) as it was expected to be a reliable staple for months.
Possibly because it's rare and there isn't enough of it to be of premium value when compared with other bulk meaty things which did keep well if kept dry?

I'm quite happy to eat left over fried liver as snacky bits during meal prep for the next day or two. Actually, cooked then cold smoke-dried is quite appealing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I don’t think I could eat it in solid form, but dried liver capsules or powder are considered a super-food. Plenty of info out there about it. I’d link some articles but I’m very much in need of my bed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I won't buy anything labeled as superfood.
It would have been in the mainstream menu for centuries if it was that wonderful.
Personally, I think it comes down to a never ending quest for herb and spice mixes for seasoning. Hit on some really good stuff and I am not tired of it after 30-40 years.

Tonight, I have been gifted a jar of liver pate' that my housekeeper made.
I'll toast some naan bread quarters and get stuck into it for supper.

I'll take out a package of liver for tomorrow. I know what to put on it.
Fry a big mess of bacon, onions and green pepper, bake some spuds.

Reactions: Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It would have been in the mainstream menu for centuries if it was that wonderful.
Personally, I think it comes down to a never ending quest for herb and spice mixes for seasoning. Hit on some really good stuff and I am not tired of it after 30-40 years.

Them's some good random ramblings.....

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Superfood just means it’s packed with nutrients, not a faddy diet supplement. Like bone broth powder.

No reason not to dehydrate it in a dehydrator or biltong cupboard, but industrially it’s freeze dried. Just make sure it crumbles.

I’m fairly sure it’ll also absolutely stink.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE