Defeating the leather sofa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
A few days ago after many repairs to the chip board carcass, our couch gave up the ghost.

My brother and I entered a titanic battle with it from the front room, through the door were it nearly notched up a win against us and out onto the front yard where after many oaths it was finally defeated ( only just).

My brother wiping sweat from his brow casually said " lets take it down to the pile" ( A place on our yard where we burn things). After seeing me look at him as if he were mad he rolled his eyes muttering something about bushcrafters and possibles pouches coming out of somewhere that I didn't quite catch and said he would see me later.

So I proceeded to claim my prize and after an hour and a half of stitch picking and getting speared by staples ( the old thing had a bit more fight in it after all) I ended up with this pile:

So apart from pouches and covers is there anything else you folks make with thinner leather?

atb

Craig

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Mabe a whittlers square to hang round ya neck so when your carving towards your chest there's no danger of cuts.you may want to put some kind of thicker backing on it though just to toughen it up a little.lanyards and bracelets maybe

Just an idea

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can make some beautiful celtic knotwork braided bands from thin strips of it :D
It makes great footstool covers, makes a practical spark proof apron (depends just how fragile it is whether it's sound enough for flint knapping though) or a leather hat (stiffen and waterproof it with brushed on melted beeswax) or waistcoat. It also makes comfortable ballet shoe uppers for the females amongst us. It's useful for 12thscale stuff too.

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I helped a friend do the same thing this year, turned out it was that 'real leather' made from glueing leather fibres together:rolleyes:

Good fun beating it up though and I got some of the loose change back I'd been dropping down it for years.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Cheers folks plenty of ideas there all of which have been noted.

I have made a point of not starting any other project until I finish the half dozen already on the go. So I will be putting them down in my wee project book.

Dreadhead: Is this the type you are doing ?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...8B5eIwhO7iU9B5-4fVKahDg&bvm=bv.46865395,d.ZWU

Looks very smart.

Goatboy: lol my brother said almost the same thing.

Lannyman: lol it does and I think I would do a better job of the frame than what was there ( I hate chipboard).

Teepee: Ah the real fake leather yeah, I have come across that a few times. Yep I got a whopping £ 2.65 out of that one. Back of the couch was always a great place to check when I was a kid, the rule was if you find it you can keep it.

All the best

Craig

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
New shoes!!! Lol.. I'll have to butcher a mate's sofa.. Cut a section out the back so they don't notice!! ;)

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE