Deer skin sleeping.....

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I saw an advert for some Reindeer skins that said that you cant let them get damp or wet otherwise the hairs all come out. I am no expert but it's worth looking into as not all skins may be suitable. It depends on how it's tanned I would guess

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Can't comment on other skins, but can vouch for the luxury of reindeer skins. I've a couple of them that I can use in the hammock. One's not really enough without an underblanket.

Are the hairs on the silky hollow like the reindeer?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
that is the only downside to reindeer skins is the hair they shed,saying that i dont think there would be much to match them for insulating purposes,maybe sheepskin .

Like a lot of deer/antelope; individual reindeer hairs snap very easily so the hide gets thin over the years. Saying that I think they are tubular, so the thermal qualities are good. You can only clean them with a wet sponge or cloth. If you pay a bit more, you can get silicone backed skins which are better on the ground. I want one from Santa!

I often camp with quite a big Herdwick sheepskin (a.k.a. Radomir Javanovik) which is brilliant. You can chuck it in the washing machine without causing any damage. Downside is the bulk of it. But it can't be that bad: I carry it around with me at folk festivals as it's perfect for sitting on while you drink beer and listen to the music.........hc

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
i bought a skin recently and it had a silicone backing making it fine for outdoor, The one i got was just for a seating mat, but it was very warm and comfy, downside is its quite bulky and if you have any pet allergies you are in trouble if you use it as a pillow - guess who woke up at 3am with a fit of sneezing, Otherwise a good product but id say more for a base camp set up, where weight and bulk aint a issue....col

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I slept out on a couple of Reindeer skins last Monday when the chill dropped to just a whisker above freezing. They were certainly very warm, I felt not chill from the ground at all, but there was very little in the way of cushioning - in terms of comfort, not that much better than sleeping on the ground - definitely a lot warmer though. There is a cool factor to them, but for the size, bulk and weight you would be better off with an air mattress, which gives insulation and comfort.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got a few skins that i use sometimes, mostly in a hammock which avoids the issue with comfort that Martyn mentions. When we're all camping as a family we tend to use bigger airbeds and they can be a bit cold in the Autumn/winter so skins on those work well.

I do like having one in my chair when sitting around the fire to prevent a warm front and cold back, if you get a nice big one (or sew a couple together they can completely cover your back onto your shoulders, lovely and cozy. But they do shed quite a bit which can can get everywhere, we don't elt the kids play with them in the house any more :D

You need to treat them with respect as they're not great at getting wet but they're not going to suddenly fall apart or anything, I had about 20 here once and they were all soaking, gave them a good hang and they dried out fine, the siliconeised ones are more resistant especially when it's in contact with the ground or a damp surface.

Over all i'd say they're quite tough, they're not spongy comfortable in any respect and they're bulky so choose when you use them...like i said, good in the hammock.

And kids love them :D

Sheep skin is quite good, a little more cushion, generally smaller (need to sew a couple together (easy to get hold of from Ikea :D) and best of all you don't get the shedding of hair making them more friendly in that respect.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Sheepskin is more versatile in our climate while deerskin is that bit more luxurious. Both feel good to lie/sit on with the deerskin being warmer as the fur is denser and each fibre is hollow thus trapping more air. I always feel more at ease with the sheepskin as it appears tougher and less vulnerable to rain. They are particularly good if you use blankets or open up your sleeping bag into a blanket type covering as then you get to lie directly on the skin rather than having a layer of nylon in between

Neither provides much cushioning though..:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE