Deer leg (hock) advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hello all :)

I picked up two rear red deer hocks (lower legs) yesterday. It was butchered Monday and they are now in my fridge. No the wife is not happy :eek:

Slitting the skin to the hoof and getting that off, I'm pretty happy I'm ok with. Getting the tendons out (which was main reason I got them) I'm pretty sure will be fine and I can dry these and make cordage.

My questions.

What to do with the skin. I'd prefer to keep it hair on and make pouches. I'm pretty sure it's scrape, tack to a board and dry. What next or what am I missing?

Also how to clean up the bones to use as tool projects? Awls, needles and the like? Don't want to boil them and ruin the bones strength.

Any other uses, bits I'm missing?

Cheers all :)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No reason not to use the hoofs. Boiled in water they will make a fantastic glue (as will the hide if its too small for anything else). The light delicate bouquet of this glue will evoke a strong reaction from your wife and she will no longer worry about deer legs being merely kept in the fridge.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Deer hooves were used by the North American 1st Nations/aboriginals/Red Indians for rattles and noisy clothing ornaments.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers Steve,

That's the one that inspired to skin and get the tendons

It's now how to process the hide with hair on and clean the bones.

Hmm glue. I could try that. Any hints and tips or is it just boil till you get a gloop?

Rattles is an idea to use up the bits but glue may be more useful :)

Have a look here Martin

[video=youtube;YNC3RKISp9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNC3RKISp9g[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE