deer in cumbria

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
where's the best place to look for rutting deer in cumbria? i'm there for the next 2 weekends and wouldn't mind a spot of deer watching.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
where's the best place to look for rutting deer in cumbria? i'm there for the next 2 weekends and wouldn't mind a spot of deer watching.

Not sure about the best place to see them rutting but I remember going with mt father when he was dry stone walling at Wet Sleddale near Shap and seeing a good sized herd of deer.

There's also a bothy up there but I've never been to that so can't say how good it is.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Nab north of High Street from Haweswater should be good, never been there during the rut but there's plenty about.

EDIT:

In fact I think it's home to the last herd of wild red deer in England, could be wrong though.

The Nab north of High Street from Haweswater should be good, never been there during the rut but there's plenty about.

EDIT:

In fact I think it's home to the last herd of wild red deer in England, could be wrong though.

Yeah not sure that's right. We've got them here in suffolk, even come into the edges of the village. Local Nation Trust has an organized rut watching event going on at the moment.
Last year during the rut, I even got chased by one for about 5 secs whilst cycling down a forest path.
I think they might also be in a few other areas, maybe New Forest, and Sherwood/Dukeries area where I was brought up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah not sure that's right. We've got them here in suffolk, even come into the edges of the village. Local Nation Trust has an organized rut watching event going on at the moment.
Last year during the rut, I even got chased by one for about 5 secs whilst cycling down a forest path.
I think they might also be in a few other areas, maybe New Forest, and Sherwood/Dukeries area where I was brought up.

Something sticks in my mind about them being truely wild rather than managed on an estate. I'm sure I've got it in a book somewhere but no idea which one. It could be an old print like a Wainwright or something.

Maybe you're right Rich, but the ones here in Suffolk don't seem to be very managed eg they are not fenced in and not culled ( as far as I know), slaughtered for market or shot for sport. Depends how you are going to define wild I suppose. Either way magnificent to see britains largest wild animal at close quarters.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
There's also a bothy up there but I've never been to that so can't say how good it is.

Its not bad. Quite a decent size and quite dry. Although not far from the nearest road it doesn't look like its attracted the disposable bbq brigade. You'd need to carry your own wood in although there is a small wooden area about 1 mile away.

Now I've checked, its about 4 years since I last walked around up there so the bothy may have gone downhill since my last visit.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
We've consistently seen deer towards the top end of the Kentmere valley, usually high on the slopes to the SE of Lingmell End. You can approach fron the east via Nan Bield Pass from Mardale head, or by the walk up from Kentmere village (a lovely walk, but you need to get there early to get a parking spot).
Look out for the solitary Golden Eagle in the same area.
Cheers
Nick

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its not bad. Quite a decent size and quite dry. Although not far from the nearest road it doesn't look like its attracted the disposable bbq brigade. You'd need to carry your own wood in although there is a small wooden area about 1 mile away.

Now I've checked, its about 4 years since I last walked around up there so the bothy may have gone downhill since my last visit.

I'm pretty sure there will be photos of the place on one of the bothy forums but I haven't ever seen the place in person.

Its been 30 years since I went to wet sleddale when my father was dry stone walling but a quick google shows there's still red deer up there.

I might nip upto that bothy some time and kip overnight there if its any good.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Depends where in the county your gonna be, you get deer in lots of the northern wooded areas too. Armathwaite woods, Weatheral woods, high stand plantation or anywhere along the roman wall, comb crag woods is a good place, full of all kinds of wildlife.

Mart.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not entirely sure what the situation is this year, but I'd have thought mid November was getting a bit late for a rut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE