deer hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
hi. i have just got a hide from my boss which he shot the other day. was wondering which is the best way to deal with it. im going to clean it up tommorow and salt it. what else. cheers

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi jamin,if the deer was shot the other day and the hide has not been frozen then it may be to late to save it as a hair on hide,if the hair has not started to slip,ie fallout in clumps,then you might be ok.
If the hairs not slipping,then just scrape the meat and fats off,then dry it out,until you are ready to tan it.

If you need any further help just shout.
Cheers Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi jamin,well it all depends on what you want to use,i,ve used brains to liver and egg mixture,or you could use modern tanning chemicals or you could use fabric conditioner and a washing machine,if you pm Toddy she has done hides using the washing machine method.
I myself like to go down the primitive method and use brains or liver,eggs rather using modern agents,but its horses for courses.

You can buy tanning solutions on line also.

Cheers Stuart.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
never did a hide with hair on - whats differcult about it is that your only tanning the hide from one side so you won't get the normal supple feel as you do with buckskin, expect more like soft cardboard - don't salt it as this starts the deteriation of hair loss or the bacteria that helps it.
Plus I don't know if its any different but I used oliver oil - did keep my hands nice and supple like fairy washing up liquid!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE