Deer Antler Fire Steels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I was sitting around last night with a little time on my hands and wanting to do something more productive than watch TV. I had some extra fire steels and several deer antlers, so, I decided to make up a few fire steels using the deer antlers as the handles. Most of them are 5/16" x 3", with one of the fire steel blanks being a 3/8" x 4". I drilled them all out, set them with epoxy, and soaked them in oil over night.

DSC01308.jpg

A month or so ago, I tried out an idea that I had seen a few other people do with the pull apart quick release key chains. I really liked how it worked and figured that I would make a few others like it. The 3/8 x 4" seems a little too big for my pocket, but the 5/16" x 3" works perfect. It's nice having a lanyard attached to it so that I don't have to worry about it falling from my pocket and losing it. But, I also hated how the lanyard would get in the way, or the issue with too much or too little para cord. It was hard to find a balance between having a long enough lanyard to actually be able to use it for fires, but not too much that it was a hassle to deal with the extra length. With this, I can make a long enough lanyard to keep the fire steel in my pocket, and then just release it when I'm ready to use it.

Here it is with the pull apart quick release attached.

DSC01309.jpg

Here it is with it removed.

DSC01310.jpg

I'm going to put a few coats of spray shellac on them to give it a nice shiny look and they will be finished.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sweet as a sweet thing, especially the bottom one and 3rd up :thumbup: dibs on any of those two please, should they come up for sale???

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Thanks for the compliments.

Sweet as a sweet thing, especially the bottom one and 3rd up :thumbup: dibs on any of those two please, should they come up for sale???

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I will certainly give you the first opportunity if I do sell them. I'm guessing that I would have to have a maker account if I did sell any of these?

Very nice what oil did you use?

I used Danish oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE