Deep snow fireplace solution!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I just came back from a great market in Jokkmokk and found over there a great tool to keep your fire over the snow. I was looking for a easy way to keep my fire from sinking down into the snow. Here it is.......

grundmod1a.jpg

Before I was building a platform with freshly cut wood taking up a lot of energy to build, now I can keep my fire up all night without seeing it sinking into the snow.

here is a link to the small family company

http://www.tra-inventive.com/produkt.htm

cheers
Abbe
:chill:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Wow Abbe... so simple but so very useful. I had the same problem as you of course, and if there are no trees you must dig right to the soil which can be very far indeed. Stoves sink in as well as fires you see. A must have accessory, can't think why I didn't think of it :11doh:

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
hmm, well,
Mått i förvaringspåse: 13 x 22 x 4 cm

Vikt: 1140 gram

The size is something I could handle, but when I'm out there in the winter I carry way too much anyway.
Adding another two or three pound is not very appealing to me.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I really like the looks of that. Hope they make it available so I can get one. I'd love to try it.

My usual method is to lay down a few logs and put a cookie sheet on top. This works great for small fires and stoves. But I'd love to try this new gadget out sometime. :biggthump

pocketcooker1c.jpg

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
woodsitter said:
hmm, well,

The size is something I could handle, but when I'm out there in the winter I carry way too much anyway.
Adding another two or three pound is not very appealing to me.

Hi woodsitter,

I understand your concern but if you use a toboggan weight is no issue for you in winter travel, you will be able to transport a lot of stuff for your own comfort. Why would you carry everything on your back if you can pull it much easier?

The funny thing is that you can carry the fire away and place it at another location too if you have a partner with you holding the small metal strings.

:chill:

cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Abbe Osram said:
Hi woodsitter,

I understand your concern but if you use a toboggan weight is no issue for you in winter travel, you will be able to transport a lot of stuff for your own comfort. Why would you carry everything on your back if you can pull it much easier?

The funny thing is that you can carry the fire away and place it at another location too if you have a partner with you holding the small metal strings.

Plus it could save your life, if you needed a fire or stove and were too cold and tired to dig to ground level.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Carcajou Garou said:
Hoodoo, Probably can bodge one fron light expanded metal (diamond sheeting) and wire with peg anchors.
just a thought

Yes, it looks simple enough to make.

But I wonder about a sort of "fire mat". I think I've seen these mentioned before on BCUK as a way of stopping a fire from scorching the earth. Or worse, starting a smouldering fire in turf or tree roots.

I imagine a 40cm × 40cm square rockwool sandwiched between two sheets of woven glass fibre.

When there's no snow, maybe this sort of mat could be used as a heat reflector, too.

Keith.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've been told that one way to avoid melting into snow is to use the insulating properties of ash. That is, build a small fire of kindling, which quickly turns to ash - then mix the ash up with some of the water thats melted into it to form a kind of muddy layer. Take this out of the melted hole it is in, and spread it out on the surface of the snow, then build a fire on top of that - the wet ash stops a lot of heat from passing through it and should then provide a (more) stable base on which to have fires. The more fires you have in the same spot, the less melting you get each time.

Never tried it myself mind! :?:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Keith_Beef said:
Yes, it looks simple enough to make.

But I wonder about a sort of "fire mat". I think I've seen these mentioned before on BCUK as a way of stopping a fire from scorching the earth. Or worse, starting a smouldering fire in turf or tree roots.

I imagine a 40cm × 40cm square rockwool sandwiched between two sheets of woven glass fibre.

When there's no snow, maybe this sort of mat could be used as a heat reflector, too.

Keith.

Just an idea but at home we have a woodburning stove and it's lined with 1" thick 12"x12" fire bricks. these are very very light and (obviously) fireproof...they are a little fragile and suseptable to crumbling so maybe better to carry in a car or tobbogan rather than on your back but they'd make an idea plate to have your fire or stove on....and much lighter than steel....

Maybe....? :?:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bambodoggy said:
Just an idea but at home we have a woodburning stove and it's lined with 1" thick 12"x12" fire bricks. these are very very light and (obviously) fireproof...they are a little fragile and suseptable to crumbling so maybe better to carry in a car or tobbogan rather than on your back but they'd make an idea plate to have your fire or stove on....and much lighter than steel....

Maybe....? :?:

These sound like the sort of light firebricks that I use to line my furnace. You can heat one side up to incandescent (temperature > 800ºC) and touch the opposite side with your bare hand.

These bricks will easily allow a wood fire for cooking, and protect the snow below.

But, like you point out, they are fragile. You can carve out a small chamber in one of these bricks to build the famous "one brick forge".

I thought of the fire mat as a similar insulating layer, but without the fragility. Rockwool should do as insulation, but yuo don't want to handle that stuff with bare hands, let alone have bits of it getting into your change of clothing inside your pack.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE