Deep sea fishing and Bushcraft weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Just to confirm folks I've received your £20 per person deposits. The remainder we can organise on the day.
Have any of you got any friends or family who may be intested in coming along? So far we've got Willowbark + 2 - weekend warrior - andyn - Elma - James(my son) - and Me, so we've still got 2 places left to make up the 10 people. Colin needs £400 between us so obviously we need the full 10 people to make it £40 each. I've asked at work and my friends but nobody can make it :( . If you could ask around and we can make up the number that would be better for all of us. (and cheaper) Cheers for your help with this. It's going to cost us £400 anyway in total but if we can split it between 10 that would be so much better. There's no age limit so children are welcome but of course not too young as we'll be out on the boat all day and Colin won't return to port because a little 'un has had enough.

Cheers for any help

Nick

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Geat stuff, we've now filled the boat. Outdoor girl and partner are coming along now too. :D
All you have to bring everyone is your usual wet weather gear and some shoes that don't slip would be a bonus as the deck can get a bit slippery with the water and fishy bits. I'd also recommend a pair of nail clippers on some cord around your neck for trimming line. They work great and are safer than a knife in slippery hands. Of course you'll need lunch too and a flask of something hot. The fish are usually thrown into containers so if you want to make sure you get your actual fish back that you caught, then bring some coloured electric cable ties to 'tag' your fish with. you can place them through the fishes mouth and out of the gill and it also makes a loop to carry them more easily. Bring some warm clothes too it does get draughty on a boat. I've got all the trace making kit and the skipper will have rods to hire if you don't have a boat rod or multiplier reel.
I think that's abot it but any questions please ask away.

Oh and don't forget the camera. :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Womble said:
Hiya Nick. I'm not sure yet if I can make it, but would it be possible to come down just for the camping?

John

Yes of course Wom, no problems. It'll be good to see you again. Anyone is welcome to come along for the camping and a bit of a social. The fishing is full now but it'd be good to meet up on Dartmoor again.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Not long till the bass fishing trip now...............'I'm all excited Tommy' :1244: :lurk: :beerchug: :headbang:

If anyone is interested there is an article in this Septembers 'Boat fishing' magazine about Bass fishing techniques and rigs if anyone wants to swat up before the trip

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Hi Nick
Unfortunately we can only make the fishing day and not the rest of the weekend.
Can you just confirm the details of when and where we will meet up with you?

I'm getting all overexcited about it all, so I think I'll go and have a nice cup of hot chocolate while I await your reply!!

Willowbark

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hi Willowbark,

Please can you meet us at Exmouth docks car park at 7am on Sunday the 10th Sept. If you head into Exmouth the docks is clearly sign posted. I'll be arriving at Cockingford in the evening now on friday 8th instead of midday as I said earlier. Hopefully around 8ish pm. I've received deposits from everyone so ther'll be the balance of £20 pp on the day. Please remember I must call Colin the night before to make sure the weather is not against us - fingers crossed. If anyone needs to know anything please ask. If anyone wants to come along just for the camping on Dartmoor everyone's welcome.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hi Nick looking forward to it.

I'll be at the campsite early midday on the Friday so if im first there I will try and find us a good area we can all fit in. Hopefully will be taking some logs down with me to add to the fire pile.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
andyn said:
Hi Nick looking forward to it.

I'll be at the campsite early midday on the Friday so if im first there I will try and find us a good area we can all fit in. Hopefully will be taking some logs down with me to add to the fire pile.

Great stuff andyn.......all logs greatfully recieved :D I should imagine the place will be a bit barren after the school holidays and all the campers having been down there.
If anyone hasn't been on a small boat on the sea before you may want to bring some sea sickness tablets if you're unsure. I've never been sea sick but my son does get a bit ill. Seasickness happens when the body, inner ear, and eyes all send different signals to the brain, resulting in confusion and queasiness. It 's a problem generally attributed to disturbance in the balance system of the inner ear (vestibular) system. Your sensory perception gets out of synch as these nerve fibers attempt to compensate for the unfamiliar motion of the ship moving through water. It's usually OK going along but some people suffer when the boat is drifting over wrecks or reefs..................so there :p :p :p
Any questions on anything ask away

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
It is a bit early isn't it especially if you're travelling down to be there by 7am. As it is we'll need to be up very early to get to Exmouth. Colin usually wants us to be there by around 8am (I said 7am to allow for any changes and not finding the docks etc) Going on 8am then....... we'll need to leave Cockingford at no later than 7am on the sunday morning so It's up to everyone what time they get up and how much time they'll need for breakfast , wash, strike camp etc But I really think we should be heading for Exmouth from the campsite no later than 7am

Directions to the campsite

Cockingford Farm, Widecombe-in-the-moor, Dartmoor, Devon, TQ13 7TG. TEL 01364 621258. Between Widecombe and Buckland-in-the-moor, 5 miles from Ashburton, Grid Ref: OL28 718 752

If driving directly to Widecombe from the North, follow the M5 to Exeter, take the A38 South. At the junction with A380 continue up the steep hill, staying in the right hand lanes, signposted A38 towards Plymouth. At the top of the hill you will see Exeter Racecourse on your left.

Take the B3344 signposted Chudleigh Knighton and at T-junction turn right over road bridge Keep forward across river bridge and bear left on the B3344.

At the junction with A382 take the 2nd exit on the B3387 signposted Haytor and Widecombe. Follow the B3387 into Widecombe in the Moor.

Cockingford Farm campsite is 2km due South of Widecombe in a steep sided valley, take the road towards Pondsworthy from Widecombe and take the 2nd left after about 2 kms. After turning you will cross a cattle grid and then descend a very steep hill and will see the campsite on the right after about 300 metres

Hope that helps. Any problems give me a shout

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Cheers Nick! replied to your PM before I saw this, so never mind answering my timing questions!

Looks like we'll come down the day before - probably arriving at the campsite early afternoon. I'm sure we can bring some logs too, since Andy is an arborist and we have a 12'x6'x6' stack... :D

We have no sea fishing gear of our own, so will need to hire/borrow some. We have waterproofs and warm gear - I assume life jackets will be supplied if needed?

Anything else we need to bring - food/drink?

ODG/Pip

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yes, definately full waterproofs and some warm fleece etc for underneath. A warm hat is a good idea too. Just think it's going to be cold even if it turns out not to be....................... you can always take stuff off. Wellies would be good too. That'll be good if you can bring a few logs. There is a small woods next to the site but I'm not sure that we're supposed to be in there and most of the good wood will be gone because of the holidays just finishing and all the summer campers will have had it. The rods we can hire from Colin and I've got plenty of trace gear for everyone to use so no worries about bringing any kit for the actual fishing. Life jackets are on board and is a legal requirement for Colin to have enough for everyone on his boat...........otherwise he dosn't get licensed. We're not required to wear them during fishing but of course the skipper will break them out if something happens. There's a radio on board and there's usually a few other boats around the area. Definately bring some food and a flask. You won't be allowed to use a stove on the boat for obvious reasons. There's a microwave on board to heat up pies or pasties etc. Hot soup in a flask is what I usually take and a couple of pasties. I'll also be bringing everything we need to make some sashimi if anyone wants to try some :p

Lets just hope the weather gods are smiling and the bass are VERY hungry :D

outdoorgirl said:
Cheers Nick! replied to your PM before I saw this, so never mind answering my timing questions!

Looks like we'll come down the day before - probably arriving at the campsite early afternoon. I'm sure we can bring some logs too, since Andy is an arborist and we have a 12'x6'x6' stack... :D

We have no sea fishing gear of our own, so will need to hire/borrow some. We have waterproofs and warm gear - I assume life jackets will be supplied if needed?

Anything else we need to bring - food/drink?

ODG/Pip

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Right, starting to get organised for this trip now - we're out Friday night with friends so won't be able to join you on Dartmoor until Saturday afternoon-ish - is the campsite tents only, or are there trees for hammocks?

Andy and I are also up for sashimi! I'm not keen on wasabi, though Andy is - I prefer the pickled ginger... :)

ODG

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Tents only I'm afraid. There are trees the other side of the stream but there are also cows and I don't think we're supposed to be over that side anyway. My son is using a tent and I have a tarp with poles that I'm going to use. It stands alone and no need for trees to rig it up. For the sashimi I'm going to bring Kikkoman's soy sauce, Virgin olive oil, Lemon juice, Basil leaves, Chopped fresh coriander - mix all ingredients together and pour over the cut up fish in a bowl and leave to marinate for 10 minutes and consume :D If you want to bring any wasabe or ginger that'll be great, lets try a bit of everything. I think I've got some of those throw-away wooden chopsticks somewhere too, if I can find them I'll bring them along................ Got to do it properly you know :p

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Looking forward to it - weather looks good so far!

We'll be arriving at the campsite anytime from midafternoon Saturday. Will bring firewood as suggested..

ODG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE