Deep sea fishing and Bushcraft weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great stuff jdlenton, hope you can make it.

I found this sashimi recipe and thought we could give it a go.
There's an oriental shp in Headington, Oxford that I go to sometimes so I'll bring the other ingredients. Then we just have to get the Bass

2 tb Virgin olive oil
1 tb Lemon juice
1 ts Basil leaves, fresh only!
1 ts Chopped fresh coriander
20 oz Fresh raw Sea Bass, boneles

Ok, step one. That Bass must be *very fresh*. Swimming yesterday is your aim, and if it wasnt swimming at the most 3 days ago, its way too old for this! You can tell by smelling the fish. If it smells more then faintly fishy, its too old. Bake it or do something else with it. Nuff said ok? Now, you chop that fish up into bite size pieces. You can make the slices look pretty such as the japanese do, or just hack them up. Taste is the same. Mix the otjher ingredients, and pour over the fish just before serving. If cutting fish ahead of time, store in a zip-lock type bag separate from the sauce. This can also be a side dish if your family doesnt eat much meat. As such, it serves very well with a bowl of hot butter beans (dried large lima beans) and rice. For a soup, consider Japanese Dashi or a mild pumpkin/carrot puree. For a veggie, you cant beat steamed Bok Choy with this.

Sounds lurvley :D

For those who don't know. Sashimi is the same as sushi but without the rice bed underneath.

We can also eat this with kikkoman's soy sauce and wasabi

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
falling rain said:
Great stuff jdlenton, hope you can make it.

I found this sashimi recipe and thought we could give it a go.
There's an oriental shp in Headington, Oxford that I go to sometimes so I'll bring the other ingredients. Then we just have to get the Bass

2 tb Virgin olive oil
1 tb Lemon juice
1 ts Basil leaves, fresh only!
1 ts Chopped fresh coriander
20 oz Fresh raw Sea Bass, boneles

Ok, step one. That Bass must be *very fresh*. Swimming yesterday is your aim, and if it wasnt swimming at the most 3 days ago, its way too old for this! You can tell by smelling the fish. If it smells more then faintly fishy, its too old. Bake it or do something else with it. Nuff said ok? Now, you chop that fish up into bite size pieces. You can make the slices look pretty such as the japanese do, or just hack them up. Taste is the same. Mix the otjher ingredients, and pour over the fish just before serving. If cutting fish ahead of time, store in a zip-lock type bag separate from the sauce. This can also be a side dish if your family doesnt eat much meat. As such, it serves very well with a bowl of hot butter beans (dried large lima beans) and rice. For a soup, consider Japanese Dashi or a mild pumpkin/carrot puree. For a veggie, you cant beat steamed Bok Choy with this.

Sounds lurvley :D

For those who don't know. Sashimi is the same as sushi but without the rice bed underneath.

We can also eat this with kikkoman's soy sauce and wasabi

Nick...I'm willing to try almost anything once...As long as its NOT still twitching or raw.

Most of the dish sounds yum, its just the raw fish that makes me feel a little uneasy :lmao: . But I suppose I'll give it a shot. :eek:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Wayne said:
Andy

Sashimi is a lovely dish and Japanese food is my favourite food.

Nothing beats really fresh fish.

i'm sure Nick will be able to serve up some really tasty treats.

I'll second that Wayne. I love all Japanese food. Niku udon and teriyaki being amongst my favourites, but properly made sushi ( not the stuff you get from sainsbury's) is the best. I sometimes go to Oriental city on the edgeware road and stock up with ingredients and have a REAL sushi lunch after shopping. Excellent stuff :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
ANDYN AND WEEKEND WARRIOR, GOT YOU DEPOSITS TODAY - THANKS.

Do any of the other folks who expressesd an interest earlier on in the thread still want to come along?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I do i just need to sort transport and a pass from the wife I'll give a definite decision on Monday if that's OK

James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I still can't confirm if i will be able to come i will know if i have a place on a teaching pgce course potentially by the end of the week if i have then the 10th is out if i haven't then the trips a goer. If I'm messing around and some one can fill the place for definite then please fill the boat if not save me a place and I'll confirm when i have a definite answer a really want to do this and have a days see fishing but life can be a real cow sometimes.

James

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Willowbark said:
Hi Nick
If you still have two places left, can you let me know and I'll send deposits.

All the best
willowbark

Hi Willowbark,

Yes there are 5 places left still so I'll put you down for 2.
I'll PM you my address

Cheers

Nick

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
There are still 3 (possibly 5 as I havn't heard back from willowbark yet) places left for the fishing if anyone wants to come along. You don't have to necessarily be a member of the forum so bring any family friends sons daughters etc
I've sent Colin the deposit for £100.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great stuff, getting towards a full boat now.
So far we've got Willowbark + 2 , Weekend warrior, Andyn, Elma, James (my son) and me. So there are still 2 places left.
Come on don't be shy there's nearly 4,000 people on here surely we can fill a boat with 10 people :eek:
It's going to be a great weekend and hopefully lots of fish to bring home too.
This takes a fair bit of organising and if it goes well, I'll be happy to do it a couple or so times a year as long as I get the support from you guys and gals.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
If anyone is coming along to Widecombe I,ll be happy to do an afternoons navigation training on the saturday for anyone who wants something to do while we're down there. My lad will be doing his D of E gold soon and he wants to brush up on his navigation so anyone else who wants to learn is welcome to join in.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
falling rain said:
If anyone is coming along to Widecombe I,ll be happy to do an afternoons navigation training on the saturday for anyone who wants something to do while we're down there. My lad will be doing his D of E gold soon and he wants to brush up on his navigation so anyone else who wants to learn is welcome to join in.

Is that where we'll be camping Fri/Sat/Sun? Do I need to book it?

R.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yup, camping at Widecombe Cockingford Campsite. I'll be arriving at around lunchtime on the friday 8th sept. The chap who owns it, is an easy going elderly fellow and he dosn't take bookings, just turn up. The holiday crowds should have just about gone by then (thankfully) :eek:
I expect the area will be stripped of any firewood too as it'll be towards the end of the season, so it may be an idea if we all throw a few logs into the boot of the car to have on the communal fire. There is some ash in the little woods next to the site but I'm sure we're not really supposed to be in there. :rolleyes: I know where there is a load of ash that's been felled near my way so I can saw some up and bring it down, but if everyone brings a half dozen or so logs that should easily last us the weekend.

Nice one andyn we'll go walkabout on the saturday then

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Sorry to go on about this, but there are still 2 places left for fishing. IF I DON'T FILL THE BOAT I'LL HAVE TO PAY ANY EXTRA MONEY :eek: Please come along if you fancy some boat fishing, and a couple of nights on Dartmoor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE