Deep sea fishing and Bushcraft weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Is anyone interested in a long weekend down Widecombe (Dartmoor) and finishing with a days fishing on sunday on Smuggler 5 (newer boat than in the picture) which runs out of Exmouth. I'm going down on the Thursday and returning straight after the fishing on the Sunday so the fish don't go off and I can get them gutted, filleted and frozen the same day.
http://www.britishcongerclub.org.uk/charterboatfeatures/CBFEATUREDUKES.htm
Colin is a very experienced skipper who is freindly with a great sense of humour and I've been out with him a few times. If anyone can find us the fish Colin can.
I was thinking of doing this in the summer maybe july or August and we can expect to catch Mackeral (all you can carry,) conger eel, pollock, sea bream, pouting, maybe bass amongst possible others.
I havn't got a date in mind yet, I'll have to give Colin a bell and see what he's got free but I need to know if enough people are interested. I can show anyone who's never fished before the ropes and lend you some trace tackle. you can hire rods from the skipper, who will also show you the ropes.
I'm not sure of the price at present either but will post again in a few days when I've got that info. If you've never been before it is excellent fun and very thrilling
As i say just gauging interest, and if enough of us then I'll arrange a date with Colin and re-post all the info including cost etc.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
moduser said:
Hi Falling Rain,

that sounds like a lot of fun. I've never fished off a boat before.

Keep me posted.

Best wishes

Moduser

It's immense fun Moduser. I've never come back empty handed and the freezer usually ends up full with plenty for friends and neighbors too.
We usually all chip in a quid or 2 and whoever gets the best specimen of the day (not necessarily the biggest fish) gets the cash. this is usually judged by the skipper and makes for a bit of good natured banter during the day.

My best fish was a 43 pound conger eel. They can grow to over 100 lbs. In fact I think the record is 133 llbs. A few fillets from one of those :D http://www.fishing.co.uk/species_display.php3?id=40

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'd like a provisional place please. it's a question of time money and the other half but i'd love to go fishing off a boat never done it before please let me know

edit can we have sashimi and beer on the way back to port please:)

James

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Too far for me - but it sounds like a great trip.

Might look in to something similar for those of us up north.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
I'd love to join you. I've done half a day with Hugh Furry Witlessone out of Weymouth and then back to River Cottage HQ for mackeral sashimi and gravadmax (we caught very little; mostly mackeral, a big conger eel and a few bass). My circumstances may, hopefully, be different in four or five months but I'll say I'm very keen anyway.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
good, plenty of interest then.

I'll post again in a couple of days with complete details. prices, date etc.
Please be aware that there is a fixed charge for the boat and the cost is split between however many people go. It'll be around £40 each or there abouts. I think it's licensed for 12. If someone fails to turn up it'll be down to the others to pay between them. Therefore a deposit in advance will be required so if there are some no show's the others won't have to foot the bill. I think this is the fairest way. Please make sure you can go on the date and think carefully as it's not fair on the rest of us to pay for someone who dosn't turn up.
Also be aware that if the weather is atrocious, we won't go out as it's too dangerous. This is the decision of the skipper, who we call the night before. This means strong winds (not just a few showers) and any deposits/ monies can either be refunded or we arrange another date. We should be OK at that time of year though.
Any questions.......ask away

It could be you http://www.smuggler4.com/site_images/gallery/index.htm

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
risby said:
I'd love to join you. I've done half a day with Hugh Furry Witlessone out of Weymouth and then back to River Cottage HQ for mackeral sashimi and gravadmax (we caught very little; mostly mackeral, a big conger eel and a few bass). My circumstances may, hopefully, be different in four or five months but I'll say I'm very keen anyway.

Blimey Risby that sounds like a good day out with Huge furry whittlin' tool.
I never had fresh sashimi made by myself but eaten loads when I was in Japan.
I'll pack some kikkoman soy sauce and wasabe. Maybe you could show us or explain the Gravadmax too. Is that the one where you salt and layer it in some sort of container?
I must be just lucky then. Of all the times I've been fishing I can only re-call one particularly attrocious days fishing on a Bass trip where no one caught anything all day. :( I usually come home with plenty) fingers crossed

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
falling rain said:
I'll pack some kikkoman soy sauce and wasabe. Maybe you could show us or explain the Gravadmax too. Is that the one where you salt and layer it in some sort of container?

Ahbut, this was a deliberately English translation so we had the fresh raw mackerel with worcestershire sauce and English mustard. The mackerel was meltingly tender having been swimming only a couple of hours earlier.

and yeah, the gravadmax is mackerel covered with a salt, sugar, pepper and dill to cure it over one to three days. There's a description in the River Cottage Cookbook.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
looks like we've got our sashimi chef :D you show us Risby and I'll bring the beer.
But what english beer goes with english sashimi my personla fave is Wadsworths 6X what do you guys recon

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE