Deep heat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Hello,
I hurt my leg a couple of weeks ago and have damaged some ligaments the quack said there is not much I can do but keep my self dosed on painkillers and use deep heat, the only trouble is either they have taken something out of deep heat or I'm now immune to it as it does not do much. Can anyone suggest a topical treatment that works

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to John Fenna I'd recommend since he's a professional, but I found that black pepper essential oil worked when diluted in sweet almond carrier and massaged in.

DIY stuff, meadowsweet root's hard to beat, but it's not deep heat. It's just an ache soother.

Best of luck with it,
cheers,
Toddy

Fletching

Dec 6, 2010
London
***See you doctor before following any of this ****

Voltarol's pretty good. I just had a discectomy operation to release a trapped nerve but was waiting four months for the op. Tramadol, Gabapentin and Emugel helped a lot with the pain. Make sure you get the Voltarol Emulgel P as it's the one with Diclofenac (and non prescription) painkiller in. *****See your doctor first though**** before doing any of this as I'm only trained in basic first aid and don't know your med history etc.

On the trad. fron, tiger balm's pretty soothing and gives some of that heating feeling.

Last edited:

Jimny

Dec 5, 2009
Under my hat and in my coat
I've found that Deep Heat only seems to work on me now if my pores are open. Get a t towel soaked in as hot a water as you can stand without burning yourself hold it on painfull area for a few minutes and then lather the deep heat on.... nice hot feeling soon arrives.

hope this helps
Dave

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
hot and cold are used to treat different injuries, not to be mixed up.
I dont recall it though. I have a physiotherapist friend I'll ask her in the morning and post which way round it is.
She always shouts at me for using heat when i should be using cold :(

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I'm sure it is heat for muscular, so that the heat helps speed up the healing, and cold for joints to help take any swelling down.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Tramadol and rest... phyiso and pain.

I did a number on a ligament in my lower leg a couple of years back. When it went it made such a loud crack I thought I'd broken it, and it felt like I had to.
It took a year before I was back to normal

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I had the same thing I thought I had broken it as I felt a pop, The quack said it would have been quicker to heal if it had been a break as tendons take ages, she suggested I take it easy for a bit but as I am self employed no work means no money

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
I've started running recently and as a big lad suffer pretty severe shin splints. The best treatment I have found for it so far is a cheap tube of morrisons muscle rub, smells pretty much the same as deep heat, but you have to be a little generous with it and it takes a while to actually start working, but the effects and the "heat" affect seem to last a lot longer than spray on.

Ingredients are: Sweet birch oil, cajuput oil, eucalyptus oil, menthol castor oil, paraffin wax/soft yellow paraffin, wintergreen oil and copper chlorophyll (e141)

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Hello,
I hurt my leg a couple of weeks ago and have damaged some ligaments the quack said there is not much I can do but keep my self dosed on painkillers and use deep heat, the only trouble is either they have taken something out of deep heat or I'm now immune to it as it does not do much. Can anyone suggest a topical treatment that works

Cheers

go to your local swimming pool and use the sauna, take a large bottle for water (at least 750ml) so you can spend longer each time in it. 10-15mins is a good amount of time to spend bettween cooling down. Massage Oils work wonders in the sauna

Just recovering from ligament damage in my knee myself. Treatment I gave myself was painkillers elevation and rest plenty rest, Regular use of ice packs for the first few days. After that I started using tiger balm on the area and with a sports physiotherapists advice started an exercise regime. After each bout of exercise a cool pack was applied for 20 min. If you dont like or are sensitive to Iboprufon type painkillers voltarol is very effective. Stronger version of voltarol is available by prescription from the doc. Tiger balm is excellent stuff have a google for more info. Available in red or white. Red is a stonger version.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE