Decent fixed blade for less than £25

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Browsing the web as you do I came across a drop shipping company similar to "dealextreme" called "Kaidomain" www.kaidomain.com and looking through their knives I spied this and thought it was worth a punt.. http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=6891

It costs $33.02USD delivered which equates to £21.93 in the UK. If you're after a fast delivery you'll be disappointed as it took about 3 weeks to come through, but 1st impressions are good.

The knife is 7.5" long 4" handle and 3.5" blade. The Handle is a dark wood with an antler/bone decoration and a brass finger guard. The blade is 3mm thick and works well with a firesteel. It is shaving sharp out of the box and has a concave grind with secondary bevel. The steel has a rustic damascus pattern which I find pleasing, but for the price I REALLY doubt it being true damascus. The knife is comfortable in the hand and seems adept at performing most tasks. The sheath is made of 3mm leather and is really well made although it is only stained on the outside. There is a maker/manufacturer name of Herlertz on the sheath.

If you're after a nice looking small bushy with the "Kellam" look then for £22 quid I think it's gotta be a winner. Some pics below

Comparison with a standard Mora
20k895h.jpg

And out of the sheath
4v1mq0.jpg

The rustic Damascus blade pattern
abqd89.jpg

The sheath is substantial and well made
2hft360.jpg

The handle is nice and comfortable
2wqr9kk.jpg

I have no connection to the site other than being pleased with this product (my 1st purchase from them). If you want any more info on this knife I'll try and answer any question as best as I can.

Cheers

Mad

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nice spot Dave. Though why they categorise it as a pocket knife I do not know.

I may look into getting one to try it out.

Cheers

George

With the site being Japanese the probably use google translate or babelfish. Although powerful translation tools they sometimes do a sort of "best match" scenario. There may not be a Japanese equivalent of "sheath knife" or the word sheath may just translate into "pocket".

For example I believe that Coca Cola in Mandarin Chinese translates to "Bite The Wax Tadpole"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_blunder

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Or "female horse stuffed with wax". The joys of international branding.

So long as the knife works well who cares I suppose.

What other classics are out there?

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
That does look nice, put it through its paces and let us know. :)

Sometimes the translators don't make much sense. This, for a Japanese hatchet:

Hit a branch, chop wood.
ナタを道具として正しくフィールドで使う機会を作ってみませんか。​
Why not make a chance to use a hatchet as a tool in the field correctly.
味方屋のナタは一刀一刀日野浦氏が精魂込めて叩いて作っています。​
Nata side of the shop is made with minutest care that he hit one 日野浦 一刀 sword.
手にとって使い安さを実感してみてください。​
Please try to realize how to use their weak hand.

do what? :confused:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Looks good Dave.

Well I've given it a hammering at work today and it's still "alive".

More than can be said for a Spyderco Delica I trashed at work doing the same stuff... Good as as "beater" and at that price you won't be too gutted if ya ding it up a bit.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Looks like you found a good little knife there, I like it.

And let's be honest here guy's, which of us hasn't wanted to "Bite The Wax Tadpole"?
happy0009.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE