December or January winter trip over sea's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Ok. So Im planning a trip to Norway or Sweden or some such place to do some walking and camp in the snow.

Where is best to go to for some good snow???

It would be great if I could go straight from the airport. I would need to get food supplies from local shops though.

Another question is can I fly my pulk over and could I pack it first? If the answer is no then I would need go buy one in country. That could be exspencive though.

Ref kit I think i have enough clothes jackets and such. Just need to get some wool base layers and some bits a bobs.

I intend to get a seek outdoors tipi and tent stove for the trip to hot tent it...😆

Any help and advise would be very welcome as would some company.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you're willing, I will collect you at YXS and haul you and your kit to my place in the Rocky Mountains.
McBride is 53N, about 220km east, half way to Jasper (without the crowds or the prices.)
I have many reasons to go to YXS anyway. Not out of my way in the least.

From there, I can put you into some nice forest where you can walk your a$$ off.
What do you want? Flat? 45 degree slope? Many places with no avalanche hazard at all.
The bears will be in bed so they're no hassle. I don't think that the cats will push you.
They might come in the night to check you out but a confrontation is not going to happen.

Firewood is as much deadfall as you can ever possibly use.
Google McBride BC

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Robson. Thats very kind of you. I was thinking of BC to.

I will need to check flying costs etc so will get back to you. I am very tempted though...������

Many thanks.

Chris.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My family have been explorers for generations.
Our houses are always expected to be the jumping off points for new explorers.
I do what my family has done, many, many times.
Big, warm, snug. I love my mountain house. I do my part. Google to see my district.

I can organize snowshoes (rebuilt Sherpa with sharpened ice claws and 60" trail breakers) and a toboggan or two to haul your kit.
If we get a dump (36" - 48") overnight, you might find yourself in my back yard until the major logging roads get plowed.

I would not put you where my bush friends would be expected to look in on you from even a mile away.
All the same, you won't be very far alone.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just in case that any of you missed my point, my invitation stands for the lot of you.
You come over here, your kit is a mess, you sort it out and fool around at -20C in 36" snow, in the back of my house.
I'll run a line to your tent for power. We will feast very, very well.
In fact, I'll give you bison to fool with in your tent at +4C.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oh, come on! Gimme a break! Not even the smallest bluegrass jam?
I have some guitars and mandolins if you can't cope.
My GF is fairly hot on the fiddle.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No worries.

You will lob into YVR, clear customs and change planes for YXS.
I meet you. The damn days are so short, we overnight in Prince George.
Off by 11AM to be in McBride before sundown (about 2PM).
Buy lots of candles.

I will shove you off into the boonies whenever you want to go.
Or, try it in my back yard. Not a whole lot to do in the winters here,
gotta make your own fun.
We have some 300km groomed XC trails and warming huts.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Just a few questions. You may very well get lots.

1. The average temperature is it about -20 c as you said?

2. Does it drop much lower than that because i may need another sleeping system. Incase i cant get a fire going last resort and i need to rely on it at -30 c?

3. Do you think the Seekputside tipi tent will be ok in that kind of conditions?

4. Can you get or tell me what map/maps will be needed for the area?

5. Are there any crazy local bylaws to consider. Like no cutting dead wood on a sunday???

Again many many thanks.

Had a look at flights and its around £700 return. I did a 10-12 ish day turn around for all those interested.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

forestwalker

If you would go for Sweden instead:

About the middle of Sweden (e.g. Östersund) there will be snow, temperatures can be a bit uncertain due to climate change, but anything from -35 C to -5 C is possible end Jan, early Feb. You can take a bus from the Östersund airport, shop in town (walking distance), and then take a commuter train west to e.g. Ånn and start from there.There are places to rent e.g. pulks.

Northern Sweden (e.g. Kiruna): expect lower temperatures, not sure about local communications, but should be manageable.

As to kit, I would suggest having a sleep system that can handle the lowest temperatures you can reasonably expect, same for clothes (look http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50528 and http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2012/how-to-dress-for-the-far-north-on-a-budget/ and http://www.hunter-gatherer.org/en/manuals/dressing-for-the-cold/ for suggestions)

Giantwalks

Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth
www.justgiving.com
I would prefer Norway. About 30 kilometers out of Oslo you are in the middle of nowhere.
The Teepee is a good idea. When I was in northern Finnland my Tentipi and the stove saved my life. There I made a winter-survival-education together with the finnish army. There is a really interesting phenomenon which apears every 4-6 years, when the normal temperature of about minus 45 degrees drops down to about minus 65-70 degrees for one or two weeks. Really cool :)
Such things can´t happen in the south of Norway but in some areas the temperatures can drop to minus 30 degrees.
So you need to be prepared or you need to be a good bushcrafter :)
A good sleeping-system, gaiters, warm clothes, spare clothes, tent and stove or firebox, good fat food is essential in those conditions.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Sounds like you got an amazing offer from Robson Valley!

If you choose to go to Norway anyway, chances are good for snow-hunters in December-January. Keep away from the coast. The coast easily gets slushy, and slush has the overpowering ability to ruin everything nice about anything... You will end up hating this God forsaken country and the whole idea of spending your precious vacation in it.
The further away from the coastline (and low lands) you get, the better your chances are of finding cold and dry snow areas, that make great outdoor vacations ;)
I would not recommend bying the pulk here, unless you have a swelling wallet, or can be happy with the old army pulk :p
I have difficulties imagining that the cost of bringing your own pulk on the plane will be higher than buying a new one here.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've lived in McBride for just 15 years.
If anything, the winter weather has become quite unpredictable for both temperature and snowfall in the past 5 years.
From above freezing with rain showers to brutal -30C cold. Snow never more than knee deep to 36" overnight.

Most winters, there's snow banks still melting in April. 2015/2016, basically no snow after the end of February.
Hot April, my grapes all flushed then a week of -10C nights that froze all the flowers.

1. Money. Camping in Norway/Sweden/Finland just has to stretch your travel budget. More for fun things & kit.
2. Environment. My district looks like what you would expect for #1. It's all boreal forest. Here, there, same thing.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We've already got another trip being organised...same place, same time of year... Dave posted it up and a few bods have joined in.

Just got back yesterday from a meetup to discuss what we're going to do, what we should be expecting and how to die in the Arctic circle. :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Unless you join in with the trip being organised.... always room for one more, and if this past weekend is anything to go by, it'll be an adventure and a half! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE