Deceased Dolphin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for all your relpies.

I assumed bite marks because I thought propeller wounds would have mangled the dolphin.

And no, I didn't take any teeth. I did think about it briefly but I didn't feel right about going about it with a pair of pliers.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's how I get seal teeth for little jobs here and there.

They tend to be a bit smelly for a while so I chuck them into a PET bottle with a bit of salt water and then change it out for a weak bleach mixture later.

My way of thinking is that the poor creature has already passed away, why not make use of it's remains and give them new life in something that you will treasure.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Certainly not a prop injury, it would be across the back if anything. The wounds are underneath suggesting an attack from below.
Orca is certainly in the frame, it's our largest uk predator and the area is right too.
As BTW said it's a white sided dolphin.

I like Waylands suggestion, however, I suspect there's some kind of law regarding the possession of any part of the creature. I'm not 100% sure but that's how most things roll nowadays.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thats what held me back a bit from taking the teeth, wondering what would happen if someone saw me. Oh and SWIMBO would have hit the roof, it was bad enough showing her the pictures.

Just watching C5 Orca programme and they have just mentioned Orca attacks on Dolphins!! That'll do me.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I like Waylands suggestion, however, I suspect there's some kind of law regarding the possession of any part of the creature. I'm not 100% sure but that's how most things roll nowadays.

Hmmm - I guess it depends on who the land belongs too. Anything found on the beach that isn't the subject of a wreck belongs to the owner of the land I'd guess.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
As BTW said it's a white sided dolphin.

Yep - there is EU and UK forbidding possession of any parts of Cetacean species - so sorry guys the teeth are a no-no

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Perhaps it's this:

Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985 – applies to Northern Ireland and makes it an offence to intentionally kill, injure, take, possess or trade in any wild animal listed in Schedule 5 (which includes all cetaceans).

http://www.wdcs.org/submissions_bin/uk_legislation.pdf

Here's the legislation if you can be bothered reading legal english: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1985/171/contents

I had a quick look and it only seems relevant in regards to killing for sport or trade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE