Dead wood for friction fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi there, i have been getting into the carving (slowly) I have a bit of willow in my garden which came down in the snow. I want to carve it into a bow drill set.
I know it has to be dry so should I leave it a year in smaller pieces to be carved later? Or should I fully carve it now and wait a few months?
Or do I just not bother, go to the woods and keep looking for dead standing wood of the right tree?

I have no money for a course so I really want to try it myself.

ixion

Mar 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
The method I was taught was to scrape the bark off the wood, and press your thumb nail into the wood. If you can just about make an impression, then the wood is good to go for bow drilling.

And with willow you have already found one of the right trees :D

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Stick it on your car dash board in the summer or on your radiator in the winter. Carve it and get it on! It's willow, it isn't the hardest wood in the world and so you will be able to carve it easily.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I reckon if you've cut it to the right approximate sizes you need, it'll take days on a radiator, not weeks or months to dry out. And remember the whole piece doesn't have to be bone dry, the friction end just has to be dry enough and the drilling process will heat and dry out the working end more.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive force dryed green wood in a week and got several fires from it easy.
Just over size it when green then tidy up the dimentions when dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE