DD Honey Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I know I promised pictures and I'm a bit late, but I broke the screen on my camera!

But I have been out with the Honey now a few times and Its awesome! Its even got my girls interested!! Now you can't argue with that!

When I have the time I do a little write up, but it has firmly earned its place in my kit bag!

Best purchase this year? Definitely!!

Drew

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I bought a honey stove from a group buy here on BCUK. It was available slightly under retail if I remember correctly. I think its a good buy for its versatility and flexibility. It is well manufactured and made from stainless steel so its not going to just rust away. I find it awkward to assemble though sometimes, I get half the bits together and then whilst positioning it to take the next bit it just falls to pieces and I have to start again:lmao:. Maybee I am doing something wrong in the assembly though:confused:. The ends are a bit fragile where the assembly slots are located, a few times I have had to podge them open with a knife tip or twist them straight again. When assembled they are extremely well balanced and robust, I don't feel that anything is likely to topple off, like I sometimes feel with gas cannister cookers.

I hope the mark II, comes made from titanium with hinges rather than the slide fits, I would have one of those in a shot:D.

Dec 16, 2007
sorry but you will never get me away from my kelly kettle its just how it is kelly kettles rule the world drew

I have a ghillie kettle with a whistle the 1pint one. It fits on the honey just fine so can still use the kettle for water then off and cook my scoff in my billy.
So no need to get rid of the kettle. best of both world if you ask me. Dont know what it is like with the big kettles.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I hope the mark II, comes made from titanium with hinges rather than the slide fits, I would have one of those in a shot:D.

I second that! Maybe we can convince backpackinglight.co.uk to sort it out if we get enough ppl!

sorry but you will never get me away from my kelly kettle its just how it is kelly kettles rule the world drew

Thats fine mate, each to their own. Don't the kettles only boil water?

HMMM BACON! :nana: :D
603_E.jpg

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Top point! Is that the cheeky corner of one of those origami folding plate things in the photo? I got a set free from backpackinglight while once again spending too much money with them - oh how everyone who saw them laughed. But they are great as strainers, plates, chopping boards - how do you find yours lamper?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I bought a honey stove from a group buy here on BCUK. It was available slightly under retail if I remember correctly. I think its a good buy for its versatility and flexibility. It is well manufactured and made from stainless steel so its not going to just rust away. I find it awkward to assemble though sometimes, I get half the bits together and then whilst positioning it to take the next bit it just falls to pieces and I have to start again:lmao:. Maybee I am doing something wrong in the assembly though:confused:. The ends are a bit fragile where the assembly slots are located, a few times I have had to podge them open with a knife tip or twist them straight again. When assembled they are extremely well balanced and robust, I don't feel that anything is likely to topple off, like I sometimes feel with gas cannister cookers.

I've the original version but I to find it very fiddly so your not on your own. A hinged version would be a great improvement IMHO but in Titanium would wack the price up to over £100 I suspect. Still a cracking little stove though.

Aug 10, 2009
UK

I ordered one on Friday after seeing and using lampers for a while. I'm really impressed.

On Ti, that'd be great; on hinges though, I'm not so sure. One of the main things that attracted me was the ease of cleaning and low maintenance. Personally I think it wouldn't be quite the same with hinges, but each to their own.

Obviously, I haven't owned one, or used it for that long, so I don't know if I will eventually find the same kind of frustration at the slide fits, but I've found in my limited experience that a bit of practice combined with slow and steady wins the race.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I ordered one on Friday after seeing and using lampers for a while. I'm really impressed.

On Ti, that'd be great; on hinges though, I'm not so sure. One of the main things that attracted me was the ease of cleaning and low maintenance. Personally I think it wouldn't be quite the same with hinges, but each to their own.

Obviously, I haven't owned one, or used it for that long, so I don't know if I will eventually find the same kind of frustration at the slide fits, but I've found in my limited experience that a bit of practice combined with slow and steady wins the race.
Think im going to email backpacking lit about a a refferal fee. I know of 6 people know that have bought honeys from my personal recommendation - thats gotta be worth something!

Podcast Bob

All I can say is a big thanks to Lamper for passing on the good word. You might interested to know that knowledge of The Honey Stove has also reached the ears of one of the most famous Bushcrafters in the UK and it will be appearing on his site shortly. Something we are thrilled and very honoured about.

I've checked out the Titanium options. There's two grades available and I am looking at doing it in the US as it is much cheaper there. Currently the manufacturing price is just below £100, less shipping, customs and import duty - so I'm sure it'll be popular!!

Re the hinges etc, as someone rightly says the idea is to be simple and have less to fail, so I deliberately kept to a practical design. The first couple of times it goes together is tight, and if the pins get bent, the stainless steel can take them being realigned with a pair of pliers or knife. I've demo'd and treated mine pretty roughly since the first version, and so far apart from the natural slight warp of the plates under heat, it is still doing the job as intended.

A Bushcraft customer from here, has recently come up with a good idea to elaborate on the size, for larger or family groups, so I am working on an accessory which I may have ready to demo at the Wilderness Gathering to see what people think.

Finally don't forget there's 'The Honey Stove On Tour' thread, where people post images of the stove in use in wild places. And once there's few on there I'm donating a leather Bushcraft Bag to the owner of the best picture on a random day which takes my fancy, if you don't mind me using the pics to help market the stove.

I'm also looking at making a custom grill to help with the BBQ cooking. I used a folding one at the weekend over 2 Honey Stoves and it was considerably more effective than I thought when combined with BBQ fuel, so once again back to the drawing board me for.

Busy, busy, busy ..... ;-)

Seriously though, really chuffed you guys like it so much. Thanks everyone.

Bob

Aug 10, 2009
UK
Excellent stuff bob, keep it up :)

Mine arrived from DD today (I'm the guy that emailed you on Sunday), going to fire it up in the garden later on :)

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
All I can say is a big thanks to Lamper for passing on the good word. You might interested to know that knowledge of The Honey Stove has also reached the ears of one of the most famous Bushcrafters in the UK and it will be appearing on his site shortly. Something we are thrilled and very honoured about.

I've checked out the Titanium options. There's two grades available and I am looking at doing it in the US as it is much cheaper there. Currently the manufacturing price is just below £100, less shipping, customs and import duty - so I'm sure it'll be popular!!

Bob

Bob,

Not sure how I missed this personal thanks from you, but you are more than welcome!

May I ask that as an official perk for evangelising about the honey that I am first on your list to contact regarding the Ti option!

And if you want to send me a Bushcraft bag, that's fine too! :D

Lamper
The man who should have taken his honey stove to Everest Base Camp!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I bought a honey 09 version back in January 09 when it first arrived at BPL-UK. BTW for those who are calling it the DD Honey stove it is actually IIRC designed by PodcastBob at backpackinglight.co.uk. It seems you can now buy them all over the place they are that popular (and common).

Personally I am not really into them. My reason being they don't suit my style when outdoors. Consider the fact that I am going to go home now to make a pot lid for my antigravitygear 3 cup pot (weight about 100g with lid) out of kitchen foild to save a few grammes you can probably see why the total weight of a trangia burner plus 4 sides of the Honey is too heavy. Even if you take into account no gas can. My cooking kit is 300g or that includes a 125g can (100g primus power gas) and will last me a week. The honey and burner and the same 100g pot is more, especially if you include a bit of dried fuel picked up on the way to the camp spot like you do with woodburners and if you include a 300ml trangia fuel bottle with meths in.

Having said that it is good with wood and the trangia fits in nicely. In 6 sided it works well with the excellent white box stove and other meths burners. One thing though, don't cook sausages directly on the top grill when burning wood (too much wood I should qualify it by) as you will burn the outside and leave the insides raw. Typical BBQ problem only you can't just move them to the side of the grill as it is not the same size as a BBQ grill.

Has anyone tried the AGG hexagon wood stove?

IF BPL-UK do give referral fees then I hould be onto a few. I even do the buying for mates myself since I can get it delivered safely at work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE