DD Hamock woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2005
Guildford, Surrey
Hi, I just tried out my DD this weekend and found that the supplied rope that is fitted stretched a hell of a lot.

I tied a bowlin in the end threaded through the hammock and tied the rest around the tree. during the night i felt the hammock drop an inch or so every few hours. by the morning my backside was touching the ground. Now I know I am a big chap 6'3" and 18 stone but i didn't expect the rope to stretch that much.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

TGM

Hi, I just tried out my DD this weekend and found that the supplied rope that is fitted stretched a hell of a lot.

I tied a bowlin in the end threaded through the hammock and tied the rest around the tree. during the night i felt the hammock drop an inch or so every few hours. by the morning my backside was touching the ground. Now I know I am a big chap 6'3" and 18 stone but i didn't expect the rope to stretch that much.

TGM
Did the rope stretch or did your knot slip?

I always wrap my rope round the tree twice and fasten with a good old shoelace bow, If your worried about that slipping just put some small sticks in the loops for the belt and braces approach:)

The supplied green dd tape I had was fine, there is a bit of stretch when I first used it but I always readjust my hammock before bedtime after any stretching has already happened.

HTH

Bodge:)

PS after reading your op again it would suggest your rope was slipping as you could actually feel the movement every so often, checkout your knots I reckon.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

TGM
My old DD the rope (string) snapped, they sent me a pair of tapes, but like you they stretched (enough to lower me gently to the ground over two hours. A year on and all the stretch is out of the tape after the first hour. I hang my hammoch, and have a laze about in it for an hour, re-adjust. then it is sorted.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I am 5' 9 and about 19 stone and have never had this problem, however I have the tape supplied, through the hammock ends at equal lengths and tie it round the tree so possibly the double tape between the tree and the hammock has negated any stretching, where, if I understand you correctly, you only have a single length. The tapes supplied are rated for much heavier loads so there should not be any real stretch to speak of. Perhaps your chosen anchor trees need to be a little closer together. Also an Idea is to tie a small loop of the tape at the hammock end, andcutting of the tail. Then using a carabiner connect this to a heavier climbing tape or rope which could be tied to the tree, easier setup / take down, plus the carabiners act as drip stops, stopping rain running or wicking down to the hammock. Hope this helps.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You usually get stretch at first but after a couple of outings it should have just about sorted itself out. If you`re still having problems you could think about tying the existing tape off in a small loop then adding some 20mm poly webbing and a carabiner.

This setup will give you much more flexibility and also you`ll have the advantage of drip ring where as at the moment and rain will run straight down your cord and into your hammock.

hth

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Im about 5'8 and coming up 13 stone and the first time i set my hammock i was lowered straigh to the ground in about 8 minutes. Worried i started going through the knots and found out why- i had tied a slip knot :)

Lodian

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I have always got away with first tieing a boline in the end of the climbing tape I use, then threading the tape back through to create a loop around the tree. I then tie a second boline in the end of the tape that has been threaded through, which I clip the carabiners at each end of my hammock into. Probably not the simplest way to do it but nothing seems to slip.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
You can also get some of these Galaine showed me them at the midland meet there very impressive and stop the sag,heres the link

http://www.hitchcraft.net/buy.html

hope it helps

Bernie

No there for rigging your hammock and tarp, big ones for the hammock little ones for your tarp

Are they on the same page Bernie if they are I can't see them for looking they would be great for me as I appear to be suffering from Knot dyslexia someone shows me a knot and my mind goes blank

Gailainne

Life Member
DD Hammock green tape, I chucked mine after 2 outings, the stretch on it was horrendous, I would tighten it up every day and still wake up next morning with my A"posterior"e on the deck :eek:.

Switch it for either 1" webbing, make sure its rated stuff tho, not the cheap crap from BnQ

or go to Tiso's, or climbing shop and buy yourself some no stretch rated rope. I acquired about 10 m of 9mm line rated to about one tonne, I think that should handle my svelte self :D

The Hitchcraft cleats I found on the hammockforum in the States, I use 2 monsters for my hammock and 2 minis for my tarp, I them use in a combo of bungee and mini figure nines for the guy lines. NO KNOTS AT ALL :cool:

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE