DD Hammocks - Frontline Vs Travel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Hi Guys,

Looking to buy a hammock, have narrowed it down to either the DD Frontline or Travel. I like the idea of being able to peg the travel out and use as a bivvi but have heard that the fabric is not as breathable as the frontline. I'm abit of a sweater so not sure if the Travel material will be comfortable and am happy enough to carry an extra groundsheet if i need to. Any thoughts that can help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jamie

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have the Travel, but don't find condensation a problem, have been using it since Jan this year, I like the Idea of having a waterproof base as you can ground dwell in it if required.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Have read that the TW Hornet is both breathable and water proof? How does it hold up on the ground?

The new one comes with a completely water proof under hammock.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=390422197600
He usually has them out in other colours but the orange one is cheap!

If it was me I'd go for the wide one. Comfier. Ok to use on the ground unless wet, but this doesn't come with the base layer. The material is waterproof to a degree, but I wouldn't rely on it on a wet floor.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I haven't had condensation in my travel. But one of the pockets has just ripped far too easily :mad:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Just thinking to take up the net and use as a seat. Think i'll try the DD Travel then if I become a sweaty betty i'll put it on here and try something else. One more question soz guys, Normal tarp or XL?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I use bothe the frontline and the travel.
Having used both on enough occasions and for some time I prefer the travel for winter use and the frontline for summer.
I have had condensation in the mid-layer of the travel (where I used a silvered foam mat as underlay) but not in the sleeping compartment. It also offers better protection from the cold wind in the winter.
Whilst I haven't measured it, I'm sure the travel has a little more material on the width and feels more comfy to me.

One night I hung between a couple of trees that were a little too close and attached the webbing directly to the tree without attaching some 550 or similar as a drip stop. It rained during the night and my hammock filled with water and I floated for a while! :p
Not the fault of the hammock you understand!

I also have the Xl tarp and 3x3 and camo. The Xl is superb and gives you lots of extra options such as fashioning doors at either end or hanging your hammock higher whilst having the tarp fully cover it.

If you intend to be a fair weather hanger and stay in the arm chair in winter, then go for the Frontline; otherwise the travel. You could use a ground sheet with the Frontline but you wouldn't get the waterproof bath tube protection.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Thanks for that Bucephalas, I don't ming abit of Spring to Autumn but think Winter is out (i like my bed too much in the cold LOL) so am glad that i ordered the Frontline. Think I'll go with you both on the XL Tarp as this seems to give me more options and might mean i don't have to carry an extra groud sheet just is case. Thanks for all your help with this guys, I'm new to the wild camping thing but it's something i've always been curious about so it's nice to know that there are others out there willing to help out us Noobs.

Cheers Again

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
I have the Travel and get quite some condensation, so far the night temps have ranged from -3C to +10C. I often just sleep on a CCF pad, under a UKhammocks overfilled summer topquilt. Where the quilt traps body heat against the hammock is where condensation starts to form - but by using more CCFs or a wool blanket I can minimize the 'wet problem':) Otherwise the Travel is nice. In my 2-layer TW UL hammock I have not had any problems with condensation, but that one isn't as windproof as the Travel.
I also have a XL tarp that we can hang 2 hammocks under with room to spare.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Thanks for that Bucephalas, I don't ming abit of Spring to Autumn but think Winter is out (i like my bed too much in the cold LOL) so am glad that i ordered the Frontline. Think I'll go with you both on the XL Tarp as this seems to give me more options and might mean i don't have to carry an extra groud sheet just is case. Thanks for all your help with this guys, I'm new to the wild camping thing but it's something i've always been curious about so it's nice to know that there are others out there willing to help out us Noobs.

Cheers Again

Welcome to the hangers club!
You're only regret will be noring things like work getting in the way of a night or two out.

JamieA

Need to contact Admin...
May 22, 2012
Swansea, South Wales
Think thats happening already LOL, glad i ordered the Tarp as it's just started to P**s down down here, although can't wait to lay in hammock under tarp listening to the rain hitting it, so relaxing. Even contemplating joining you guys for a few days on the moot (boss approval permitting) as it's only about 10 miles from my house.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE