DD hammock webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
The webbing on my DD hammock it's beginning to fray is there anything I can put on it to prolong it's life?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Maybe time to upgrade to whoopie slings and tree straps?

But no, theres not really anything you can put on them

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
When you say "fray", how bad is it? Those webbing straps are massively over engineered for hammocks, but the width is needed to provide friction to your tie points as well as preventing damage to the tree. One of those straps would need to be seriously damaged before I'd start to worry. The SWLs on them run up into thousands of kilos.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Not too bad yet, they just keep getting torn up on sharp bark or brambles. They seem to enjoy getting caught on stuff

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Ours have also seen better days and as you say seem to find the "sharp" bark but unless there is there was a real cut I intend to keep using mine. As said above the safe load is so high I would say even if the looked like a hairy caterpillar, I would trust my very round frame to them!!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@Nice 65 "The SWLs on them run up into thousands of kilos." - You are sadly mistaken in this statement. DD's own literature states that the SWL (safe working load) of. their webbing is 125 kilos. It looks like 25mm polyester strap to me, and as such,probably has a breaking strain of between 600 and 700kilos,giving a safety margin of about 5:1 which IMO is reasonable. Any damage to a strap, particularly a cut, will significantly reduce the SWL. Inspect regularly, and if the "fuzzing" is becoming extreme, get new straps. DD sell them at a pretty good price. As others have suggested,upgrading to whoopies would not cost all that much extra (or make them yourself). Don't compromise. A fall of 35-45 cm onto a sharp rock can break your back,and put you in a wheelchair for life.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I just had a look. Mind you, they don't state it as SWL on either the tree huggers or what they call strong webbing, it's a recommendation. The strong webbing will hold massive weights even with fraying, I agree with you about cuts though, but cuts haven't been mentioned. My hammock has similar, probably the same webbing, and it does catch and fray. So far, nowhere near the point where I'd consider it unsafe.

However, the stuff is available online and isn't at all expensive, so if the OP is worried, it can easily be replaced.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
even with way over-rated SWL I still never hang over things I'm not prepared to fall on, or from a height I'm not prepared to fall from. This means I still look for a 'suitable' hanging place rather than just whacking it up anywhere and I hang pretty low, this also aids in being able to reach things on the floor.

25mm polyester strap 1300-1500 kg [even up to 3000 kg for heavy duty] breaking strain depending on who you believe.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Not worried was just seeing if you could wax them or something to keep them alive a bit longer, if they break I'll just use some cord.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE