DD hammock karabiner mod help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

Just taken delivery of my first DD hammock. Looking forward to giving it a go, but first things first - karabiner mod.
Has anyone here done this. I'm assuming you use a fishermans knot to join the two ends of the webbing at the hammock end. However, does anyone have any suggestions for the webbing, from the karabiner to the tree?
Knots and set up ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Over on Hammock forums, the loop shackle is gaining popularity.(see Nacrabiner on HF)

Its basically a loop on one end of some cord, with a large stopper knot at the other.

You can also use a piece of hardwood as a toggle to connect the two loops.

This does away with the weight and expense of the karabiners.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Thanks for the link, neat idea, I like the idea of using them for hanging stuff from the ridgeline but I'd still worry about water wicking across and wetting your hammock when used instead of krabs. I used to be able to do that knot, where's me cord.....

Cheers,

Alan

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd still worry about water wicking across and wetting your hammock when used instead of krabs. I used to be able to do that knot, where's me cord.....

Cheers,

Alan

It another reason to use dyneema, especially the coated stuff, it doesn't wick.

Chris2012

Aug 29, 2012
UK, Manchester
Hi All

Just taken delivery of my first DD hammock. Looking forward to giving it a go, but first things first - karabiner mod.
Has anyone here done this. I'm assuming you use a fishermans knot to join the two ends of the webbing at the hammock end. However, does anyone have any suggestions for the webbing, from the karabiner to the tree?
Knots and set up ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

My hammock got very wet until I modified the way the webbing connects. The water always wicked on my DD Hammock when it rained, so I applied a mod using Carabiners to stop the water wicking and keep me dry. I've uploaded a video to youtube should you want to see how I made the mod. And yes the mod worked very well. My tarp and webbing had been rained on, hard all night.

I am using 4 carabiners which are high quality Black Diamond Hotwire Carabiners. They cost me £6.99 each and are high quality. I didn't want to use the cheaper ones as I am quite a heavy fella. I guess these will last me a lifetime. Anyway the video shows the setup in my wet garden. Weather is rubbish over here in Manchester right now. A trip to the lake district (Keswick - Derwent) over the bank holiday weekend just gone and getting a very wet hammock encouraged me to make this mod. Hope this helps.... Oh and please don't laugh at the ladder setup in the Garden, as I was short of a close by tree at one end.

No real tips on knots as you can see in the video mine are very basic and allow adjustment via the carabiners. I am heavy (nearly 16 stone) and this setup doesn't fail on me.

Cheers

Chris

Here is the link :- http://youtu.be/1NG5X6cSMyw

[video=youtube_share;1NG5X6cSMyw]http://youtu.be/1NG5X6cSMyw[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE