DD hammock and tarp replacement/alternative stuff sacks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Despite not getting a whole lot of use to date, the stuff sacks for the DD 3x3 tarp and hammock are starting to come apart. I could re-stitch them, but they have always seemed quite lightweight and not overly tough. Has anyone swapped them out for something a bit more robust?

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The DD stuff sacks are quite hard wearing IME. The 2oz PU coated polyester they use isn't bad. Reasonable value too. Saying that, If I wanted stuff sacks, I'd get a maker on here to knock some up. Bilmo is first port of call ;)

Apr 17, 2013
Ireland
Howdy fellow Dubliner :)

I have been considering a simular change for my DD Tart and Hammock but have yet to pull the trigger on a purchase. I would like to get the volume of my Hammock reduced but I find it hard to do to. I use the Hammock sleeve but I might try without next time to see if I can save some room.

My DD bags are starting to show wear but are thankfully still in one piece

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I cant fault the compression bag with my tenth wonder hornet, but the bag that came with my dd 4x4 is too small to get it back in quickly and with out it putting up a fight. I do have a spare stuff sack that I may have to turn in to a bishop bag.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve not had any real trouble with teh DD stuf sack, unless I fold and roll it with out care.. like I did last weekend... I'd go bishop bag all they way.....

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I ve not had any real trouble with teh DD stuf sack, unless I fold and roll it with out care.. like I did last weekend... I'd go bishop bag all they way.....

You see, that's probably it, I do stuff it in when packing up. But then, it was blowing almost a gale last time out and being alone I was damned if I was going to fight with it to get it all neat and tidy. We play in the great outdoors, I would expect it should tolerate being repacked in less than ideal factory conditions and to tolerate it. I will post some images of the dame to both once I get round to it.

Many thanks again for all the advice offered. :)

What's the story jester` ?! :D

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
I think that stuffing is a better option for encouraging the long-term lifespan of tarps. Regular folding along the same points will encourage wear in the waterproof membrane. Stuffing is relatively randomised and so spreads the folds evenly over the tarp.
IMO of course.

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi All, Pete k is correct the tarps and hammocks are supposed to be stuffed back into the sacks to reduce wear and tear on them

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A crease is a crease , wether it's stuffed or folded ......let's be honest....I use Dd gear aswell as Warbonnet.....the Dd gear is imho is only aimed at folk who might use it a dozen times a year .

I use my Dd traveller hammock 2-3 times a week for liggin on after work for a couple of hours.
The quality is poor , but will last if treat with up most care regardless of how it's put away.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bungie

Dec 16, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
My stitching was falling apart from new too :(

Don't get me wrong, I love my DD frontline, use it a lot and see it lasting me for many years to come, just the bags stitching is coming away.

Humans are creatures of habit, when you fold something up you do it the same way each time, and that is were the problem lies. You fold along the same crease line each time, and it will create heat and over time it will fail. A stuff bag reduces the chance of it creasing at the same place, hence increasing the life of the product. This goes for hammocks, tarps, sleeping bags, even the clothes you fold up before packing you rucksack.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE