DD frontline Hammock vs the rest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I'm thinking of buying a DD frontline hammock. I like the idea of the breathable material and its at a price I feel happy to pay (missed the group buy of course), but I know nothing about Hammocks. I have read through several posts on hammocks but I'm not sure if I am any wiser about the specifics.

Now in the grand scheme of things the DD hammocks are at the lower end of the price league (amongst the better makes), so can anyone explain the possible down sides of going with the DD.

I suspect, given the price, I will probably go with the DD, but for example the mosquito Expedition is £58 (with free worldwide shipping) and I would pay the extra if there was a convincing argument. Unless I've got it wrong it seem the Hennesey Hammocks come with tarps, but I was planning on using my exsiting Tatonka tarp, at least for now. They also want $60 to get it to the UK. So I suspect the only contender is the Mosquito.

As an extra point, I also like the idea of buying from a company based in my home county.

I'm 5' 10/11" and about 90kg so I suspect I won't have a specific sizing issue, that might affect the choice.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I don't have a DD, but I have heard that they are shorter than other hammocks. I'm not comfortable in a hammock shorter than 2.8m, 3m preferably. I think they're only 2.5

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I don't have a DD, but I have heard that they are shorter than other hammocks. I'm not comfortable in a hammock shorter than 2.8m, 3m preferably. I think they're only 2.5

Thanks, the DD is 2.7m, but the Mosquito expedition is 2.5m, but I also see that with the exception of the "deluxe" Hennessy models (which are 2.8m), they seem to be 2.54, as well, so on balance the DD probably does not too badly. But I hadn't really thought about the length.

Graham

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
i am the same i've never slept in a hammock before either, but i like the look of the travel hammock / bivi. it look's the dogs ... i would love ti try it oot .. i probaly would'nt be able ti set it up .. haa haa

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've just bought a Jungle Hammock from Mosquito Hammocks. I haven't spent a night in it yet, but have had a good lie in it. It's long and wide, enabling sideways sleeping and very well made. I chose not to buy a DD as I felt they may be a bit short. Otherwise, as far as I can see they are quite similar products.

I ordered it last Sunday and it arrived Friday morning, the service is very quick.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks, I looked at the Jungle Hammock which is lot more money at about £75 at current exchange rates, and I'm not sure I'm convinced that I want a fully waterproof model and the Expedition, which is breathable is 2.5m, so its shorter than the Frontline.

The Frontline is wider than the Jungle Hammock, and given that, as I understand it, you lie diagonally, maybe that makes up for it being slightly shorter. However, given the comments on length it does seem to make the DD more attractive than the Mosquito Expedition.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
my tenth-wonder is specially made at 3.7 meters long lol. very comfy and nice and cheap :)

3.7m !!! Are you from another planet :lmao:

However, it did mean that I looked at Tenth Wonder Hammocks, which I'm not sure I was aware of. Even though I had bought silk sleeping bags from them in the past.

Thanks,

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE