Daystate vs BSA vs Weihrauch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
OK, time for a new toy - I'm chopping in a couple of old shotguns and a springer for a new PCP.

For my tastes, it seems to come down to:
- Daystate Mk4 IS S: Hellishly expensive but love that computer
- BSA R-10: Very pretty, early ones were rubbish, hearing good things about newer ones
- Weihrauch HW-100S: Ugly as sin but utterly solid

I've had a HW-100 before, and it was just too ugly for me to live with, the new model is a little prettier. I'm very drawn to the Daystate indeed, but the BSA is beautiful so long as you don't get a duffer. I'm currently swaying towards the Daystate.

Anyone got any experience of any of these please? I could sit trawling Airgunbbs but I'd prefer your views.

TIA,

Tobes

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Of the three I would definitely go for the Daystate mk4.

I've got an x2 and it is a cracking bit of kit. Their after sales service is really good too.

I'm hankering for an hw100 myself - I don't think they are that ugly. But then I favour function over form. :p
As you will know - SOLID rifles.

Not heard anything about the R10 - but the old super10 always had a good reputation: that said definitely a Daystate vote from me.

ATB
Andy

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I'm lucky enough to have a mk 4 and a 100 and I have to say that neither miss a beat, both come to the shoulder brilliantly and will put pellet on pellet all day if you do your part. As an out and out hunter, the 100 e erytime, but the mk4 is just as capable!

Do you have the opportunity to try them both?

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
The BSA R-10 is a load of crap :eek:. Sorry. But I had to get to the point quickly with that one.
Weihrauch Hw100 is still one of the best PCP's in my opinion. But as you said, it's ugly as sin!

The Daystate range. I've got a Daystate Huntsman Classic for closer rabbit work where I don't need the Remington or shottie, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. It's also a lovely looking rifle and extremely light. Perfect for hunting.
I've had a Daystate Airwolf, Air Ranger, MK4 IS & a standard Mk4. Personally, I'd go for the MK4 IS again... You'll love it. But i'd seriously look at the Huntsman too and see what you think.

LJ.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Thanks for your help on this. R-10 is a thing of beauty to look at, but the reputation stinks. From what I can gather, if you get a good 'un and have it independently tuned, they can apparently match the Daystate on performance, and oooooh they're pretty to look at. But the duffers are a nightmare and spend more time in transit to BSA than they do in your hands.

Spoke to local gunsmith and he reckons he's sold several hundred R-10s without a glitch. I asked him if he'd buy one, answer was an immediate 'no way.' The reputation also means the resale value stinks, but I can't risk buying one second hand in case it's one of the dogs.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I think I'm pretty much sold on the Daystate, I've had an HW-100 before and I know that if I buy one, no matter how good it is, I'll always be wondering "what if..." :)

Will let you know how I get on.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
whats wrong with the bsa r10?

In a nut shella;

The first evolution of the R-10 came out of the factory too soon. They hadn't tested it enough and it was a sham, it really was. They were so bad, they were recalled and had new valves and parts retro fitted. Now it's a well known fact that rifles have teething problems when they first hit the market. Especially rifles designed for the riggers of hunting life. But the BSA took the biscuit. It was so bad, in fact, that it did a very good job of destroying BSA's already tarnished reputation in the PCP department. When it comes to engineering springers, the BSA lighting has got to be one of the best around for the price, so it's obvious they can produce good rifles. Unfortunately, they rushed the R-10 and made a hash of it.

I tried a BSA R-10 for 2 weeks. I spent a lot of money sending it to Mr Bowkett (John Bowkett) to have him "blue print" it. At the end of the second week it was for sale. I had an Air Ranger at the time and the R-10 had the looks but didn't have the minerals to back the pretty boy image. In short, It was indeed a load of cr*p. Two valves went within the first week and shot placement was terrible (the pellets were clipping the muzzle, sending them all over the shop.) I sent it back and BSA thankfully decided to send me a new one. I didn't use it thought. It was sold that day and the money went towards another rifle.;)

I've heard they are actually okay now. But to be fair, I'd never touch one again for as long as I live. Save up. And buy a Daystate or HW100. You then live a very happy, comfortable and stress free life with one of the best PCP's money can buy.;):)

Here endeth the lecture.:p:cool:

LJ

I loved my HW100, very nice, using a S410 now, don't like it as much. Always fancied parker hale Phoenix from when I saw them first come out, very nice.

Tony
I'm surprised you swapped in that direction! Air Arms are good for the money but the HW is in a different league in terms of both manufacture and design.
The Parker Hale is a little heavy, and an air gauge would have been nice, but I cant see myself ever getting rid. I've even stopped reading Airgun
magazines which for a Kit tart like me is really saying something!
SBW

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It was something different, shorter and more compact, had a good reputation so I thought I'd give it a go, I'd swap back now though :D I don't shoot that much so it's not a huge deal, although i might shoot more if I enjoyed the gun more....

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Well here is my two penneth.

In the last five weeks I have owned in order.

BSA Ultra
IMG-20110621-00057.jpg

Airarms s410 classic
IMG-20110621-00055.jpg

HW 100
IMG-20110621-00056.jpg

BSA R10
Daystate MK4
IMG-20110715-00065.jpg

Airarms S400 with GINB stock and weller reg
IMG-20110715-00067.jpg

Airarms EV2.
IMG-20110715-00066.jpg

All the guns apart from the BSA R10 were fine. The bolt seized in the breach after two weeks.

HW100 bomb proof and accurate but heavy
410 too long should have got the carbine.
Daystate developed an electrical fault and defaults to single shot mode.

Of all the S400 is the most consistent and accurate but for tart appeal the EV2 is a looker but wouldn't take it into the field hunting.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
There is always the option of picking up a Mk3 second hand? Would save some cash.

have you seen the Daystate meryln? They were gorgeous when they came out but I think they changed the stock?

Andy

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There is a Merlyn in my local gun shop. It's in a silver grey laminate stock, beautiful gun but not for hunting as it is.
All the Daystate are well made and reliable. The Air Ranger is a good option.

Just out of curiosity what calibre do you want.

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Probably going to go .177 - all my previous rifles have been .22, and I fancy a change as much as anything. Partly that, and if I've got something that's hellishly accurate over a long range then I want the flatter trajectory...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE