Dave's Insanity Sauce

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 26, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
If you think Dave's Insanity Sauce is hot...

Then you have to try Blair's 2a.m. special reserve.

Mate of mine had a bottle, and we sampled it by putting a tiny amount on a cracker. Absolutely effing agony!

Apr 26, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
Or do what I did and make some home made salsa.

(This is from memory, so I may have omitted some ingredients).

Dave's 3 Chilli Salsa of DOOOM
Ingredients
Tin of tomatoes.
Some Jalapenos
A few Habaneros
ONE Naga Morich / Naga Jolokia / Dorset Naga
Some herbs

Method
Roughly chop the tinned tomatoes to chunky salsa consistency
Add some herbs to taste

NOW PUT ON DISPOSABLE GLOVES. I recommend Nitrile first aid gloves as they are thicker and less likely to tear!

Chop the Jalapenos into slices
Chop the Habaneros into chunks
Halve, then de-seed and chop the Naga chilli finely. WARNING. THIS CHILLI IS SUPER HOT AND WILL POTENTIALLY BLIND YOU IF YOU GET IT IN YOUR EYES.
Add the chillis to the tomatoes and herbs.
Whack it all in a bowl and cover it
Refrigerate overnight to let the flavour develop. Give it a good stir occasionally to mix it all up.

Eating Tips

YOU WILL SUFFER IN PURE AGONY when you don't have a taste first and just dive into the salsa and chow down on a fully loaded tortilla.... Memo to self, USE LESS NAGA next time. Or better still, OMIT THE NAGA altogether!!!!

Honestly - I couldn't see from the tears welling up. I was having trouble breathing, I was coughing and rasping for breath and I felt like my throat was going to close up. I was bright red and sweating.... it was agony. MILK DID NOT HELP MUCH.

I think I must have drunk two pints of milk and eaten a load of yoghurt before the terrible pain wore off.

If anyone is brave enough to try this recipe, I will not be held responsible for any suffering / pain / injury caused. TREAT THE NAGA CHILLI WITH UTMOST RESPECT.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can you guys explain to me what it is about 'Hot stuff' you enjoy?
I'm a self confessed southern softie when it comes to hot spicey food , but i am interested , do you actually enjoy the flavour of this stuff or is it the experince of heat??

Is it purely machismo?

Enlighten me.

Apr 26, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
Can you guys explain to me what it is about 'Hot stuff' you enjoy?
I'm a self confessed southern softie when it comes to hot spicey food , but i am interested , do you actually enjoy the flavour of this stuff or is it the experince of heat??

Is it purely machismo?

Enlighten me.

When done properly and the heat balanced well, you do get some lovely flavours off of the the hotter chillis.

The experience with the Naga though... let's just say I've decided to stick to milder chillis!

I reckon a lot of it is machismo to start off with, but if you eat a LOT of chillis over a long period of time you start to get de-sensitized to the capascin (the chemical that makes chillis hot) so you need hotter chillis to still get the kick.

That and a really hot chilli releases endorphins, so while it may hurt, you can get a bit of a buzz!!!

Back at university (many moons ago) I was a serious chilli & curry fanatic. We'd go out for a curry and I'd have a phal and eat it like others would have a madras.

Nowadays, a Madras is about the hottest I can manage unless I'm REALLY in the mood for something fiery.

D.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Or do what I did and make some home made salsa.

(This is from memory, so I may have omitted some ingredients).

Dave's 3 Chilli Salsa of DOOOM
Ingredients
Tin of tomatoes.
Some Jalapenos
A few Habaneros
ONE Naga Morich / Naga Jolokia / Dorset Naga
Some herbs

Method
Roughly chop the tinned tomatoes to chunky salsa consistency
Add some herbs to taste

NOW PUT ON DISPOSABLE GLOVES. I recommend Nitrile first aid gloves as they are thicker and less likely to tear!

Chop the Jalapenos into slices
Chop the Habaneros into chunks
Halve, then de-seed and chop the Naga chilli finely. WARNING. THIS CHILLI IS SUPER HOT AND WILL POTENTIALLY BLIND YOU IF YOU GET IT IN YOUR EYES.
Add the chillis to the tomatoes and herbs.
Whack it all in a bowl and cover it
Refrigerate overnight to let the flavour develop. Give it a good stir occasionally to mix it all up.

Eating Tips

YOU WILL SUFFER IN PURE AGONY when you don't have a taste first and just dive into the salsa and chow down on a fully loaded tortilla.... Memo to self, USE LESS NAGA next time. Or better still, OMIT THE NAGA altogether!!!!

Honestly - I couldn't see from the tears welling up. I was having trouble breathing, I was coughing and rasping for breath and I felt like my throat was going to close up. I was bright red and sweating.... it was agony. MILK DID NOT HELP MUCH.

I think I must have drunk two pints of milk and eaten a load of yoghurt before the terrible pain wore off.

If anyone is brave enough to try this recipe, I will not be held responsible for any suffering / pain / injury caused. TREAT THE NAGA CHILLI WITH UTMOST RESPECT.

Just got back from the grocers Got the stuff to make your salsa
will let you know tomorrow after it sets overnight in the frig
Sounds great. But I must tell you we eat dried chilles with our beer
down hear.:D

Apr 26, 2009
Mitcham, Surrey
Just got back from the grocers Got the stuff to make your salsa
will let you know tomorrow after it sets overnight in the frig
Sounds great. But I must tell you we eat dried chilles with our beer
down hear.:D

Dried chillis with your beer... Then you'll be wanting extra Nagas!

Hope it turns out OK for you. I know I missed some stuff off, like which herbs I used, how much of each chilli and so on (except for the Naga. I only used one of them).

Damn. I knew I should have made notes!

It was one of those "Hmmm. I have some fresh chillis, and a tin of tomatoes. Lets make HOT salsa!" moments :lol:

I do remember it turned out quite watery from the tomato juice so I considered chucking it into a chilli con carne rather than having it as a salsa, but that was before I tasted it!!!

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Dried chillis with your beer... Then you'll be wanting extra Nagas!

Hope it turns out OK for you. I know I missed some stuff off, like which herbs I used, how much of each chilli and so on (except for the Naga. I only used one of them).

Damn. I knew I should have made notes!

It was one of those "Hmmm. I have some fresh chillis, and a tin of tomatoes. Lets make HOT salsa!" moments :lol:

I do remember it turned out quite watery from the tomato juice so I considered chucking it into a chilli con carne rather than having it as a salsa, but that was before I tasted it!!!

Well I just got it out of the frig and put some on my breakfast
tortilla It is good stuff Hot but not excessive will be great on nachos
Thanks for the recipe

All the cowboy bars down hear keep dried chillis on the bar. Just
grab a handful and enjoy

If you get down this way be sure to try them with a ice cold cervaca (BEER)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Hmmmmm. I tried the Dorset Naga at the South Devon chili farm a couple of years ago and it was awesomely hot. Last year I bought a few that were ostensibly the same from Tescos and whilst strong they had nothing like the bite.

Either I have toughened up for mass production has weakened the strain.

One woman at work could happily eat them, but the stomach cramps afterwards were apparently rather painful.

RIchard

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Back in the days when I was at uni one of my housemates used to love chillis. This was supassed when I came back to he house at about lunch time to find him heating up some thai fish soup for his breakfast. Now I've no idea what the stuff was but I was advised to dip the prongs of a fork into the soup if I wanted to try some. I did, then ran to the sink, turned the cold tap on and stuck my tongue under it! Several minutes later my tongue had cooled enough for me to start swearing, which I did for another few minutes while he sat back, laughed and tucked into his breakfast.

Never did find out what it was other than Thai Fish Soup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE