Daughters home work re Northern Ireland and Wales!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hi

A request from my daughter to you guys living in Northern Ireland and Wales. She needs a few interesting facts regarding Northern Ireland and Wales, we're not Excluding Scotland got that part of the world sorted cheers, and she thought the best people to ask would be those who live there.

She's only six so nothing to, well you know! But your help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Paul on behalf of his mini me.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Here are a few welsh facts for you........

Wales (Cymru in welsh) has its own language

Wales has its own national anthem 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau' .. or Land of My Fathers in english

It was conquered by Edward I of England in 1282 and didn't gain its own government (called the Welsh Assembly) and semi independance until 1999

Area : 20,779 sq km
Highest point : Snowdon 1085 meters,
Longest River: Towy (Tywi in Welsh) 103km
Largest Lake: Bala 4.4 sq km

Population: aprox 2,918,700

Capital : Cardiff

----

We've just done something similar in our school for the young ones on famous welsh people... I'll dig my notes out and post them later ;)

Ed

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
ummm...

NI population in the order of 1.6 Million
Area 14.120 Sq Km.
Highest Point: Slieve Donard - 852m.
Biggest Lake - Lough Neagh, at 383 Sq. Km the largest freshwater lake in the United Kingdom.
Longest River:- The Bann. 122km.
Closest point to Mainland Britain:- Torr Head, Co. Antrim - about 23Km.
6 counties - Fermanagh, Armagh, Tyrone, Londonderry, Antrim & Down.. Wee Mnemonic "FATLAD"
Established in 1921 after partition from the newly established Republic, The NI Local Assembly was created in 1999 and is based at Stormont on the outskirts of Belfast.
Official residence of the Secretary Of State (and the Queen when in residence) is Hillsborough Castle in Co. Down.

Anything else? :rolleyes:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Great Pebble thanks, a couple more questions if that ok?

Is there a national dish or common dish in Ireland and is there an Irish langauge which is still spoken as in Wales.

Cheers for your help :You_Rock_

Paul

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
National dish is probably the "Ulster Fry" - Bit like a Full English but without the beans, mushrooms and Fried slice and including Potato & Soda breads - Both fried. The other contender would be Champ, Basically Creamed potato with Spring onions (locally called "scallions") in it.

Language is one of those "tricky" things... English is the official language and is universally spoken and understood. In varying degrees you will also encounter Irish Gaelic (Gaeilge) and Ulster Scots (Ullans).

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
North Wales has the UK's longest railway station name - "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch."

Really...:)

South Wales has the UK's longest railway platform

Really... :)

If Wales were flattened out it would be bigger than England.

Not really.... :rolleyes:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Thanks guys your info has really hit the mark. As for the web link we'll pass that on to the Teacher, seems a view good site.

:You_Rock_

Paul

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
National dish for Wales might be Bara Brith - Lava Bread, basically boiled seaweed (looks like dark green mush :yuck: ) - sounds horrid, but if it is rolled in oats and fried in bacon fat its not too bad.

As another snippet, there was no Welsh signiture on the Magna Carta - on account of what Ed mentioned above.

And a literal translation of "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" is....
Church Mary near the hollow white hazel near to the rapid whirlpools of Saint Tysilio of the red caves.... more than a mouthfull for the little one ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Oh, and its where the nicest people in Britain come from :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE