dartmoor boar attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
my dad just shew me a the paper which had an article in it saying that a wild boar on dartmoor lunged at a dog walker and his two dogs, did anybody else see this ?
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I just googled it and found nothing :confused: . But i can well understand it. A lot of freaky stuff happens on dartmoor. Big black cats and whatnot. What exactly did the article say. :eek:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
this is the whole article
"police have issued a warning after a bild boar confronted a dog walker and his two pets on dartmoor. the animal lunged at the two dogs when the man was walking near the long ash garden centre, at buckland Monachorum."
"the boar, believed to be living wild, approached the man and became aggressive to the dogs," said a devon and cornwall police spokesman
there you go
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
leon-b said:
this is the whole article
"police have issued a warning after a bild boar confronted a dog walker and his two pets on dartmoor. the animal lunged at the two dogs when the man was walking near the long ash garden centre, at buckland Monachorum."
"the boar, believed to be living wild, approached the man and became aggressive to the dogs," said a devon and cornwall police spokesman
there you go
leon

Cheers. I just did a bit more digging and it turns out that they actually live on dartmoor after being almost wiped out. Big buggers they are. Good thing i have two big Germans on my side if i was faced with one of them. :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i have a very protective staffy so im ok even though i dont live anywhere near there
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I wouldn't want to live there mate :) . Too many Big black cats and aliens and now 200kg boars with 4 inch tusks :lmao:

Anywho great thread. Lets see what other people have to say :D

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I remember about 4 years ago when i was working for the forestry Commission in the galloway forest , some boar ( 8 ) were set free from a sort of farm park / private collection .
One morning when stalking i stalked one and was about 50m away . I was shocked how big it was.
I was sure it knew i was there and had no fear of me,it just happily walked into cover and away .
apparently it was only boars that escaped and no sows ,so they were not too bothered about shooting them.
I can honestly say I would have filled my trousers if it had charged though. :yikes:

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
I've got a staff, shes a bit silly when it comes to judging competition, she would of proberbly went in for a few round and come out in a box :( . Glad there is no boar round here :D

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Bushcraft4life said:
I wouldn't want to live there mate :) . Too many Big black cats and aliens and now 200kg boars with 4 inch tusks :lmao:

Anywho great thread. Lets see what other people have to say :D

I would have thought it was worse than that in London :lmao:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes staffs are a bit silly arent they lol, i how big are boars, i wouldnt want to get charged by one of those
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Chopper said:
I would have thought it was worse than that in London :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nah it aint that bad. And i live in the south east :eek: .

I got my two big germans mate so i aint worried. I really hate london. So much pollution and not enough greenery. I live opposite vast woodland and that is where i practice my bushcraft. And walk my dogs :) .

As for boar size. Male about 200kg Height of a german shepherd. Big buggers. I am 6''3 and i way about 100kg. Maybe that can give everyone an idea.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
jesus there big ol buggers arent they, how much are living wild around britain ?
leon

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
They were hunted to extinction and then about 10 years ago they were found in sussex and since then they have slowly been reintroduced(I think). Don't ask me how i know this. Google probably. I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with one anyway.

This sound like something an old grandad would say. I am 17 going on 60 i think :D

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I've read stories like this before. I'm sure I read along with one of them something about a load of animal rights people raided a farm breeding/rearing them one time and let about 200 loose somewhere in the west country and many were never recaptured so they've continued to live wild :eek:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
probably remnant of this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4713952.stm

typical media hysteria.. I remember a few years ago when a woman on a horse was supposedly "attacked" by a boar.. I think the press play these things up a lot it more likely looked at them a bit funny, remember its unusual in the British countryside to come across an animal with the stones to stand its ground when a man and his dogs come tramping up, shame imho!

Jan 22, 2006
uk
from the comfort of a nice glass techy building i can honestly say that i think its great that there a few things out there for us to fear. uk's so tame that we've lost a quality that foreign lands have, and i think it's a shame. as well as telling everyoneone else in the world not to kill their wild animals now that we've done it!
bring em on i say, i spend as much time as i can out in the sticks, grew up out in the woods really - like most of us - and i love the thought of a few lynx and wild boar being out there.
i've never had a scrape with a dangerous animal (maybe a few dogs - but nowt bad) so i could change my mind - but a few of them on the moors etc is ok with me.
i did see a big black cat many years ago, and it made me very very happy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE