Dartmoor 4 " Return Of Te Wood Smoke "...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Also..Trevor thanks for getting straight into demonstrating on your first meet with us, and confidently knocking up a three legged stool to help me with my coursework. Truly in the spirit of good bushcraft! Hope to see you again soon and that you will be a regular on the meets.

I was in bushcraft heaven on thursday night in 600-800 acres of woodland looking for bushcrafting opportunities and sites. More on that another time but just to say that it was no night to be out in the woods - very windy and wet and I had to be back at work by 7.30 the next morning, but still worth it!

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Hi Igor
That is a fantastic and very generous offer and like a few if the others would love to take you up on the offer but as Adam hs said would need to look at cost and timing but all seems very doable
You Star bar you

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi igor what a fantastic invitation as rick says definitely possible would love to come we need an organiser not me regards dave:You_Rock_

JIM-BEAM

Oct 7, 2011
USA, Chicago
www.ceu-inc.com
For 'body' please read 'buddy'
Paul

Hi Paul…. Body, buddy, shmody… who cares – but you are right.
About mosquitoes – they are similar just in the moor. Some big, some small and the population - depends on the location and the time of the year. There are much less of them in the dry season.
I think for you “pale kind” the sunscreen would be more pertinent.
About logistics - just few tips: the most expensive part of the trip is the flight from UK to few possible places – Belize City or Cancun. From those places one can take the busses, very affordable.
I will be feeding info in “baby portions” or will respond to specific questions from anybody who asks.

IG

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
It's not the cost of the flights for me I can sell a kidney fir the tickets, I just have to sweet talk SWMBO and it's gonna take a few months of washing up etc to get perhaps 1 or 2 weeks away camping lol

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Hey Igor, the Webster clan can't travel this side of Christmas...far too busy at work. But some time next year sounds awesome, probably March onwards. Count me, my wife and my daughter in!

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
That's bad mutha ******* bush bro loads spiders snakes and the occasional skull hunting predator lol I am so up for it if we can all get together next year

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
As far as I know, my father in law was deployed there sometime in the 70's and also trained US troops in jungle warfare there.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Just to remind people what Igor said in his original invitation: He will be going to Belize some time towards the end of this year and then again early next year, probably in Feb/March. As he usually goes for 2/3 weeks that gives quite a big window of opportunity. From what I read so far it's the Feb/March date that most people can consider as a target to aim for.

A quick bit of research on the Interweb revealed:

No visa is required by UK citizens for Belize or Mexico.
Flights to both Belize City and Cancun (Mexico): There seems to be better flights to Cancun - fewer stops and shorter flight times. You won't get much change from £800 for return flights in Feb/Mar but further research could throw up bargains.
There is a regular bus service from Cancun to Belize City - five times a day, journey time about 5 hours and cost approx. US$10.
Official language of Belize is English but Kriol and Spanish are also spoken by the locals.
There don't seem to be any firm rules about inoculations but the recommendations (if you are going in the bush) are for Typhoid, Rabies, Tetanus and Hep A

I'm sure Igor will correct any errors in the above. Any chance of a location, so we can find it on the map, and some pictures of what people are letting themselves in for Igor?

ATB

Paul

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Something to get our teeth into! Next year sounds good. Time to do some research, and I had better get that practice in on swinging. Wish I had taken that opportunity on the last meet now.

Just need to work out what I can sell to get the fare together!

Last edited:

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Just let us know what you call the new thread and we will find you.

I will be sorry to leave this thread - it will feel like the meet is finally over, if you know what I mean!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE