Damascus and Birch (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
A while ago I was very lucky to win a Damascus blade of Bernie Garland.
I had the blade lying around for months thinking what to do with it, 17 weeks ago Jan gave birth to our daughter Elizabeth and I never have the time or the tools to finish the knife of.

I asked John Millington (Singeblister) if he would finish it and make a sheath for it, I wanted a sheath that I could use for work that hide the knife from view but also be used on a belt or my harness.
I have been using the knife for a couple of days now and its a beauty, my boss is really jealous.

Bernie has done a cracking job with the blade its very good to use as a 3 finger necker and its 4mm thick so it will withstand some serious use.

Its made from Alabama Damascus, 5160(Spring Steel) 203e (Low carbon high impact high nickel mild steel alloy) 15N20 (Bandsaw blade material) 52100 (Ball bearing steel) 1018 (Structural steel) and Nickel 200. Forged out and folded 5 times to give 416 layers

John has done a stunning job with it, very neat finish with the handle and the sheath.

The scales are Curly Birch with brick red liners and it has 4 pins, the centre being a mosaic pin made of brass and nickel.

The sheath is made of veg tan with a sandwich of Buffalo leather stiched with artificial sinew, and a Birch leaf tree design on the top. The curly Birch toggle stops the knife from coming out when sheathed.

I must say its got to be my favourite knife, its going to be used everyday at work.

DSC_0833.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0851.jpg

DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0837.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
amazing.
Allot of steel in there as well.

Q: how well do damascus knives take and hold an edge compared to regular knives?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers, Its a real cracker.
Damascus isn't too bad at keeping an edge this knife has a secondry bevel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE