D of E

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Sent number one Son off tonight on his two day hike.
He was complaining about the weight of his sleeping bag.I told him to ask his friends about it in the morning :D
Wish I was going with him.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My lad did it with the school cadet force a few years ago, and is now going through the process of joining up, he to whinged about the weight, but later said he had a snug nights sleep in the 4 season bag, compared to his mates who were tired & cold.

Rob

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Stingray
I hope your son has had a great time, and some happy tales for you when he returns.

I used to teach D of E to cadets, and still mix with D of E students every month. Almost all of them have very large and heavy packs, but once they are on their overnight camp site, they all seem to be pretty happy about life.
Yes their gear is massively heavy, but many of them will not use it much, so there is no point in buying lightweight gear.

I can fully empathise with your desire to be going with him.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Being a D of E assessor the sleeping bags usually look big and heavy but it is usually a bulk thing.

Where the problems come from are far too many spare bits of clothes, enough toiletries to clean an army and enough tins of food for a week.

Not forgetting the usual electronics that are squirreled away in nooks and crannies in the bergen.

However I agree that the better the nights sleep the kids get the better they perform with things like navigation the next day.

I do hope your son has had a good trip to remember?

George

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
He had a good time thanks.
I agree about the extra weight regarding clothes and bits and bobs.
He could have roughed it and halved his pack size,but then,when you're 14 and girls are present...........:cool:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Stingray.
That is good news!

Seoras.
You are so right. Many of the kids I deal with have 65-70 litre packs, totally filled up and still with the roll mat and tent on the outside. I stand in front of them with my pack with all my gear for three days, and with everything on the inside, yet my pack is only a 45 litre lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE