'D' loops and release aids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Is it possible to use D loops and release aids with a recurve bow or not.
I have them for my compound but looking to get a recurve too.

Ta folks.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
It's possible, I just can't see why you'd want to. You don't get the finger pinch you get on a compound due to the longer bow length and most recurves are a lot lower poundage than compounds, which is 2 of the main reasons for using a release aid. It's easy enough to remove the D loop if you don't like it so you could give it a go and see if it's for you, I'm not sure but I don't think it would be usable in competition though, if you are thinking of that. Best check that out if it's something you are considering. You may get some strange looks but if you like shooting release, and aren't worried about competition, give it a go. It's whatever you enjoy doing as far as I'm concerned. Personally I'm a finger shooter, I don't even use releases on my compounds and everyone says I'm nuts. ;)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Its not for competition shooting but im having a few difficulties with my fingers and the lack of strength in them, so i wondered if it was
possible to use a release aid with it being thicker to hold and release with my thumb.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
In that case go for it. It's certainly possible to do it. The reasons I pointed out are why it's not common, but they don't affect you so give it a bash I say. The only other thing I would say is can you borrow a club bow or something to give it a try on (as I said D loop is easily removeable after) before you splash out on buying a recurve and then don't like it? A lower poundage recurve may be an option if you find you don't like it then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE