D.I.Y Wood burner ( Pic Heavy ).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

I've had a couple of requests to see more pics of the wood burner , a picture of which I posted in the gallery.
The original idea was by Tinny of 'Minibulldesign' on YouTube. He made one out of a beer keg similar to this:
DSC01210.jpg

The other one I made out of an old gallon tin:
DSC01321.jpg

Once stripped down it fits into a PLCE Bergen side pouch complete with a six can chimney in two sections and the four legs stored inside:
DSC01416.jpg

By cutting the top and bottom off tin cans with a safety can opener and crimping one end with needle nosed pliers it's possible to make long sections of chimney pipe. The cans are held together by three 3mm medium pop rivets:
DSC01406.jpg

To fix the chimney to the burner make a stub from a tin and fix it in place by riveting each of the eight tabs ,cut along it's length, in place with 4mm -long rivets. Make the hole for the stub as close a fit as possible:
DSC01410.jpg

A damper fitted close to the burner can restrict the chimney by 3/4 and helps to conserve fuel:
DSC01418.jpg

The draft vent is 2" round and seems to provide adequate ventilation:
DSC01411.jpg

A simple latch catches a 1 cm lip left on the tins end after removal of the original top:
DSC01413.jpg

Only basic tools were used and easily available materials, but I made the mistake of using aluminium rivets which will have to be drilled out and replaced with mild steel ones.
Having said that I've not had a melt down .......yet !! But it's not worth the risk especially if your using it in a Tipi. Also some kind of spark arrestor should be considered.

Hope this is of interest . Pete.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats the best excuse I have seen in a long time to go out and buy a keg of beer... Love it.
Tin can chimney is a great idea too..

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Its so nice to see someone else working with scrap materials and making use of them before landfill.

Would you put an estimation on how long these would stay serviceable in daily use?

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
great stuff :) this is another thing I have been planing on building i was going to use an old calor bottle though

Old gas bottles are lovely to work with
heres a little stove i made from one

tundra.jpg

Ive made a few things from old gas bottles including a cauldron for my sister

cauldron001.jpg

Turned into

cauldron020.jpg

I have so many ideas but not enough cash/time to fulfill them all it gets quite depressing

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
that's very good, like it a lot, have you got any baffles, ash grate etc on the inside or is it just abig hole, how well does the chimbney draw. any chance of a pic of the inside of it.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Isn't it dangerous to start cutting up gas bottles, or how do you prep them for cutting to make it safe

You have to empty them and then fill them with water and leave them for about a day. (and i read all that in another thread on here).

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I open the valve and turn them upside down
After a good banging with a stick and some side to side rocking
then after i carrying one home a distance there normally ready for recyling

Would some one who paid there subscrition be able to sell recycled urban crafts in the makers forum?

some nice stuff there still waters , is that a fying pan on the top of the stove >?
and how did the couldren work out in use?
I have used part of a bottle for boiling nasty things up in like horn.

As Lazy said take off the valve and fill it with water :) I got all the saftey boffins having a go at me on BB when i did a tutorial on making a forge with a calor bottle so i tend to stay clear of tutorials now lol

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
As Lazy said take off the valve and fill it with water :) I got all the saftey boffins having a go at me on BB when i did a tutorial on making a forge with a calor bottle so i tend to stay clear of tutorials now lol

accidents are natures way of ridding the gene pool of th idiot gene!

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
The lid on the gas bottle stove was an old cast iron griddle
its on upside down on the stove

Im sure an old frying pan would work just as well

I seasoned the cauldron before using for cooking and it works fine

I love knocking usefull items up from scrap and rubbish i find lying around i made a chimnea for the patio a while ago also from a gas bottle

garden034.jpg

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
I love Calor Gas woodburners - I bought some chimney pipe this very morning for mine. I'll definitely look out for a griddle like yours has got - I guess you can cook on it too. Is yours hinged? I can't figure out why this would be needed, unless it is for cleaning it out. Also, how does yours vent air into it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE