Cycling around Spain.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Has anyone done it? I have always been into bikes since an early age, started mountain biking then been bmxing for the last 10 years, i just bought a racer yesetrday and seeing as im hopefully doung some wwoofing in july id like to see some more of Spain. I have been to tthe south before but only saw it from a car,

I would like to do it for a few weeks, on a budget, and camp most of it. Does anyone know of good spots to stay etc?

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
There's the Camino Francés 750-1000km of it is in Spain. There are refugios (bunk houses,
but usually of a pretty good quality) for a few Euros - 8-ish with showers and maybe cooking
facilities - all with volunteer wardens to keep it clean - it's a pilgrim route, but most people aren't.

And most people walk it (about 60,000 a year) but bikers do it as well.

Wild camping - especially with a bike where you can get away from the main path quickly - is
pretty easy. I walked it, but I camped out as well. There aren't many organised sites.

The Spanish part goes across the north from the French border, through Irún (aka Pamplona),
Burgos, León, to Santiago de Compostela (and on to Finisterre if you want).

3 mountain ranges and the meseta (a very flat, featureless plain with straight, Roman roads)

PM me if you'd like to know anything more

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There's the Camino Francés 750-1000km of it is in Spain

There are several other 'pilgrim' routes to Santiago, 'The Northern Way' is much quieter than the 'The French Way' and the food is better :)

You might also consider the 'Rua de la Plata' which will take you from Seville to Santiago, again a much quieter route.

Although most published 'guides' are for walkers, a Google search will provide links to several cycling guides. here is one.

Wild camping is possible, especially if you plan to 'stealth' camp, or if you like the idea of cheap accomadation you don't have to be a Christian to stay in the 'pilgrim route' albergues, Atheists, Pagans or whatever are equally welcome.

:D

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I cycled down the mediterranean side in the early eighties, Pyrenees to behind Alicante, Elche - so my advice wouldn't be up-to-date, except to say keep clear of the coast except for the cities (in order to visit them). Stay inland and when you need a shower, "luxury", etc., stay at a cheap hostal.

And take lots of water...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE