CWC watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I won't use anything that needs a battery these days. I have used a Seiko kinetic dive watch for a few years now, it is on the bulky side and the bezel and glass are well scratched and I now have it on a nato watchstrap. I would say it is as shockproof as they come given that I never take it off for hard work.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I won't use anything that needs a battery these days. I have used a Seiko kinetic dive watch for a few years now, it is on the bulky side and the bezel and glass are well scratched and I now have it on a nato watchstrap. I would say it is as shockproof as they come given that I never take it off for hard work.
Don't Seiko Kinetic watches still need a replacement capaciter (or the more recent Titanium Carbon Lithium Ion accumulator )to store the charge they produce?
Pretty much the same size as a battery, then mechanical watches need to be serviced and oiled every few years as well so I'm not seeing huge differences as far as them needing to be looked at every once in a while.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
CWC watches were ok when they were sensible money but in my opinion its a lot for a watch that isn't waterproof and a quartz movement. Lots of other really good brands out there for similar money.

Reactions: CLEM

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
Don't Seiko Kinetic watches still need a replacement capaciter (or the more recent Titanium Carbon Lithium Ion accumulator )to store the charge they produce?
Pretty much the same size as a battery, then mechanical watches need to be serviced and oiled every few years as well so I'm not seeing huge differences as far as them needing to be looked at every once in a while.
I prefer the automatics – the 7s26 or the 4R35 are pretty reliable workhorses – low beat, anti-shock and keep pretty decent time. I've never had a kinetic but Seiko do make a really nice mecaquartz movement which has all the benefits of quartz (accuracy) with the look and feel of an automatic. I've had seiko automatic watches that are over 10 years old and they still give good timekeeping.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Don't get me wrong, there's something I love about mechanical watches.
A real marvel to look at.
But it's not their timekeeping cos just about any quartz watch is more accurate.

Just to throw a couple of other options into the mix, Lorus do a couple of "Field Watches" and one with a titanium case.
Titanium Lorus.

Then theres the Casio Duro MDV-106 which has a screw down crown, is waterproof to 200 metres. It's a bit chunkier than a field watch and has mineral glass, but a sapphire glass for it costs less than 20 quid if yer that fussed and Youtube shows how to replace it.
Casio

Reactions: CLEM and MattyWW

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
Lorus and the Duro are top shouts. Good for modding with sapphire crystals or oil filling if you’re into that. I’ve a Pulsar which is the civilian version of the RAF issue pulsar - love that one (I like to pretend I’m a fast jet pilot). YouTube is a good source of info - I like watches, just one more watch, mad watch collector and watch me with watches are really good places to research what’s about.

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
Escapement Time do a really nice field watch - quartz, loads of lume and great build quality for £90. Don’t be put off that it’s an aliexpress watch, they’re great. Nice fleigers too.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yes the Lorus Titanium watch is a nice clean looking watch, but it still needs a battery, so my old one just sits in a drawer whilst my Seiko Kinetic looks after itself.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I was gifted a nice looking Pulsar recently. I’ve just fitted a Bond type NATO and it’s looking good.

My other is a Seiko, been running on the same battery since I bought it about 5 years ago! Unfortunately showing the signs of shifting the woodburner out of the stone hearth on the glass.

D125D416-321D-433A-9E1C-7D03FB453325.jpeg075DA0AD-2DC3-42CC-AC1C-1E35EBBBD8B2.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE