Custom OS Maps.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
They're quite handy, where I live the standard 1:50000 OS sheets all border each other, so for local fishing one need separate 3 maps to get all the lochs. I've one centered on my village that largely does away with the 3. So, not all for those who're looking for a wall hang, mine's a folder with my name on it ;) Why carry maps of 3,000 square miles when I can have a map of the most relevant 1,000?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
yep, same for me. I found a previous house was on the dge of two maps. It was cheaper to have one custom printed centred on the house than buy two normal ones

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
Actually, that's brilliant, as the OS Explorer maps seem to be designed to require that you buy several maps to cover the park. The Lake District is a great example - 4 maps where a single one of the same size, centred on the national park itself - covers it fine - in fact I think the AA have published their own using OS data that is exactly like that!

Oh, spoke too soon. The maps that you can custom order are not very large - unless I've misunderstood.

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
80cm by 80cm, thats 996 sq miles in old money at 2cm per square each square = 1 square kilometer on a 1:50 000 scale map, 40 X 40 squares = 1600 square kilometers.

Edit; they only show the centered bit of the map on the site, and you need to scroll around the insert map to see the rest.

N

Nomad

80cm by 80cm, thats 996 sq miles in old money at 2cm per square each square = 1 square kilometer on a 1:50 000 scale map, 40 X 40 squares = 1600 square kilometers.

1600 square km is about 617 square miles. You have to convert the linear values to miles first, then multiply them to get square miles: 24.85 x 24.85 = 617.76.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I just use memory map, print out the bits I want, vast swathes of land don't change a great deal, especially out in the sticks...

N

Nomad

Been looking on and off at getting one, and just ordered it...

attachment.php

It covers this area...

attachment.php

The normal map cuts the left hand side off a bit - loses a third of Loch Katrine (the biggest loch) on the west. I have the big waterproof ones of the area, but carrying two is a bit bulky, and they cover much more than I want. The cover photo is mine, taken from the north edge of Achray Forest looking NNW.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Looks great, and I have to say I was rather impressed with the ability to customize the cover and you seem to have put that feature to good use, mine uses a photo from the OS site as it's actually an area on my map and a better photo than I had available.

I'd like another of the ground to the east of me although I still need to sit down and see if it's possible to get the bit I want on one sheet, then figure out the OS reference to centre it. That'll involve spreading out sheets 33, 34, 25 & 26. I need to make a space first.

N

Nomad

Map just arrived, two days from order to delivery. Looks just like a normal map, photo printed very well. The only oddity is the lack of a sheet number, of course.

Another plus for these, I guess, is that they're presumably the most up to date version that's possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE