CRV or X-Trail.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup Folks.

So its time we replaced our daily beater. Its costing me more time and money than I have spare to keep it going.

So I have about 2-2.5k to spend so looking at something late 90/100k and looking for petrol rather than Diesel. It isnt going to do many miles as my wife will be mostly using it for work runs (about 5 miles) and me for the odd jaunt to the woods. I am looking for a "soft roader" rather than something landy as it will be used for the road more than the woods and fields. But at the same time some of my permissions are very furrowed and steep. So rather than unwittingly removing my exhaust as I have in the past I do need something with ground clearance.

So X-Trail Vs CRV?

Is there something else I haven't considered in this range that isnt all 4X4 and little comfort? I also dont fancy something as big as a rover or cruiser.

Thanks in advance.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've been driving a 3 door RAV4 for years. I put some Grabber AT2s on it back in 2008 because I was living somewhere with limited access if it snowed, and to help me haul trailer loads of logs across a muddy field. The 5 door sound better for your needs as I removed my back seats so the dogs have some room.

It's passed every MOT, just the occasional thing sometimes, and apart from having to replace the dual mass flywheel (diesel only, and a well documented problem that I was unaware of), it's been very kind to my wallet. Very nice to drive, even with the AT tyres, the petrol engine would make it quieter.

At the time I was looking also at the Honda, but it didn't do much for me in terms of style and shape. They're supposed to be very good though.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
No direct experience of either the Honda or Nissan but do recall some talk of reliability issues/big bills with the X Trail as it gets older.

Mrs Nomad has a low mileage (50k) 2004 Toyota RAV4 (TBH I drive it more than her as a 110 is not ideal as a daily driver), which is a bit smaller than those two but ticks most of the boxes you want. The RAV has been reliable (that's the kiss onf death!), with only a broken spring two new disks on top of normal servicing. Fuel consumption is not good though, but if only going to do low mileages, maybe worth a look.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No direct experience of either the Honda or Nissan but do recall some talk of reliability issues/big bills with the X Trail as it gets older.

Mrs Nomad has a low mileage (50k) 2004 Toyota RAV4 (TBH I drive it more than her as a 110 is not ideal as a daily driver), which is a bit smaller than those two but ticks most of the boxes you want. The RAV has been reliable (that's the kiss onf death!), with only a broken spring two new disks on top of normal servicing. Fuel consumption is not good though, but if only going to do low mileages, maybe worth a look.

Strange on the fuel consumption, I get an average 36 mpg with my diesel version. Yours a 5 door?

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
I've got the CRV.
It's bomb proof.
In five years, aside from servicing is only been to the garage once for a minor repair.

When the 4x4 kicks in its great for snowy hills.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've had three X trails. Good experience with all of them.
Current one is '06 and 85k, going really well. Copes with annual long trlps to Norway via Eurotunnel.
Just back from The Lakes where it handled very muddy steep tracks with ease. Don't do any serious off roading though. Goes in 2wd and intelligent 4wd. Not had any major bills except some recent brake calliper issues (£400).

BTW, a Japanese friend tells me that CRV stands for "comfy run-around vehicle".

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Subaru Forester?

Ticks all all your boxes, known to be reliable, and has a low box. The other half now has one, petrol, non turbo, got to admit than whenever I can borrow, it I do :)

She got rid of the X-Trail (diesel) which was an ok vehicle, large wallet needed for repairs though. CR-V's seem OK, but not up to the abilities of the Nissan or Subaru when it comes to non Tarmac terrain.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Another vote for the Suzuki Gran Vitara. I have had mine for 10 years now, so I have definitely got my money's worth from it. It wont melt tarmac with performance nor save the planet with the fuel consumption (about average for the capabilities), but its a low tech, basic, cheap, tough vehicle. It is capable off road, up to a point. They just keep going - you can see a lot of them on the road with older plates.

Cheers, Bob

Jan 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Mate of mine has an old (first generation) CRV petrol auto. With all terrain tyres on it copes well with muddy tracks and the odd field, places you'd probably just about, maybe take a normal estate car.
My Xtrail is the newer generation (post 2007) and I love it, it doesn't compare directly with the older models but I will say that both have bigger boots and a "better" 4wd system than the Honda.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I have a cr-v albeit 2008 but it's bomb proof and pretty good off road. I have had mine through a quarry in icy water deep enough to set off the parking sensors with zero issues. Service it once a year, sails through mot every year. Non turbo engine, chain drive so no need to worry about timing belts and such like. Enough space for a family of five plus kit plus bikes using a bike rack and I haven't even fitted a roof box. Yet....

i dont see me changing it any any time soon. Brother in law had an x trail and loved it until the turbo blew. Otherwise he had no issues with it.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Interesting thread, as I am looking to downsize from an 03 Mitsubishi L200, that has been super reliable, to something Freelander sized. The Suzuki and Honda sound like good options, with decent prices for low mileage models.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the input all some great advice.

I am leaning towards the CRV after much reading and deliberation. Likely a 2.0 petrol with a decent spec.

The X-Trail is a lovely car but seems to have more of a reliability issue against the CRV. Plus I didn't know that the 2003- models had a Renault engine in! Sorry i know Renault are probably better these days but certainly never been a fan. The X-trail also seems like a nicer place to be than the CRV. However there were a few models that have a much more plush interior so will be keeping an eye out for one of those.

Petrol is the choice due to our low mileage which is for both cost and reliability issues. Reliability due to the DPF issues. Plus diesel`s cards seem to be marked for a tax bump and lets face it the government don't need an excuse, i mean they are happy stealing money out of our education system so fuel isn't going to stand a chance.

I had looked at the forester but they are just out of my budget considering mileage and age against the others.

The Yetti is also a lovely car but way out of my budget again.

Let keep the thread alive if it serves a purpose for others thinking of the same kind of options.

Thanks again.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have a 2005 CRV 2L petrol. It's great , totally solid car, plenty of poke at 148bhp. Not Amazing on fuel but it's a lump of a car, the 4x4 Kicks in when you need it. Probably the best car I've had.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Timing chain not belt on the petrol which is a bonus.
I took a newer x-trail for test drive and it wasn't as solid as the CRV, however I've had two Honda's and both needed attention on the rear brakes, new discs and calipers when the cars were around 10 years old. Not too expensive on the CRV.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE