Crusader or US military canteen cooking system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I am looking for some sort of easy to carry cook set for day use. And have spotted the 2 systems below. I like the idea that they are both designed to stack with the water bottle minimising space used. I would like some opinions of the pros and cons of such systems. Have any of you got one or the other or compared both any views appreciated. Both cost the same so that doesn't sway the decision.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/crusader-cooking-system--free-extras-114-p.asp
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/us-military-canteen-cooking-system-2775-p.asp

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Í have both and use the Crusader all the time. I Use the cooker with green gel and the stainless version mug (I've seen negative reports on the PTFE coated one). IMO the Crusader is more versatile with the cooker and has has more capacity than the US version. On the other hand the US version is compatible with the majority of water bottle issued to armed forces around the world while the Crusader is compatible with the UK bottle...

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I have both sets and are excellent except the plastic lids of which i have made my own metal lids.A lot of users tend to go for the crusader set up it also depends on what fuel you want to use for the systems as regards boiling times. Try a search on here, there are a few good threads about these systems.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a webtex copy of the crusader one and to be honest although it works i dont rate it that much, firstly a sachet of the gel only just manages to bring the cup to boil (not a rolling boil but hot enough for a brew, maybe negative if your looking to purify the water) hexamine is ok gives better heat but if like me you have large hands lighting a hexi block whilst in the stovey bit is awkward i normally end up lighting it in my hand then dropping it in...not ideal. So this brings me to using hexi with alcohol hand gel which i find is the safest and easiest way to light it which means 2 fuels sources. Nowadays i just use this kit for fishing to make a brew and sometimes i tend to use meths in the well of the stove. I got it for the same reason you want it stacks together for a tidy brew kit but i now prefer my swiss volcano stove for the same reason and use twigs as fuel or my mini trangia

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I've never tried the US one, but I have a Crusader and my problem with it is that it really doesn't stack together that well. The cup on the bottom of the water bottle is fine, but the little burner thing sits rather awkwardly and never seems to quite nest fully. You would need to get a lid to stand any chance of boiling water (lots of people here make aluminium ones) and probably stick to hexi not green snot. To be honest the crusader is a decent mug to replace to plastic one as it fits beneath the bottle, but not so sure about the whole system (I believe the military only use the mug)

I now use this:

IMGP2142-1.jpg
IMGP2143-1.jpg

which is a cheap nalgene type bottle, a Gelert Ascent 1 cookset and a tin that I drilled a few holes in and added some tent pegs to make a cooker.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s.../quality-gelert-ascent-1-anodised-546318.html
http://www.millets.co.uk/product/114524.html

It all fits really easily into a PLCE utilty pouch (to which I have added a couple of straps (ok, its webtex!)), with plenty of room to spare.

img_0145-1.jpg

infact it fits better than the Crusader stuff does. To be honest the hardest part was finding a wide enough tin!

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I made a little photon stove to fit into my crusader cooker.
Red bull can tor the top, toast toppers tin for the base.
It works quite well, I made my own lid from thin aluminium.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have both kits and tend to use them alot:- on day walks I use the us kit as it is more compact and takes up less room in my daysack; I really only use it for boiling water for a brew and to heat British ration packs which only just fit in.
on longer excursions and camping trips when I go camping without SWMBO I use the crusader system because the cup is much bigger and I tend to use it boiling rice then add some salami and fry them both together in the cup for a little more flavour.

In terms of the stoves they come with I prefer the US one Much more bullet proof and as the cup sits (with only a tiny gap around the edge) in the top of it when the fuel is burning more of the heat is transfered to the cup for cooking. As aposed to the crusader which sits on a bail arm and has a much larger gap around the cup between it and the stove meaning some of the heat is lost.
With both stoves I have used Hexi tabs and the horrible green snot. my preference for the US stove is to use hexi or the US trioxane bars whice burn cleaner than hexi meaning minimal residue on the cup afterwards to scrub off. with the crusader I generally use meths in the fuel well of the stove

I have used both on campfires with no problems at all. Both stood up well. Both have been suspended over the fire and sat down on the coals

An observation I have with the two cups is that the US cup in my expirience with the two, the rim cools down much faster meaning that you don't get burnt lips when drinking straight from cooking

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
cool!, i'm so gonna have to pinch the bottle and cup combi! i went all round cambridge to all the outdoor shops trying like a pleb all the bottles and mugs on ofer to get the crusader style set up that you have there with the civillian options! i just fleabayed the gelert thing and i like the lid and extra pot for probably the same weight as a crusader. i think i'll stick to crusader on the open fires but i'm deffly up for that kit of yours for my lighter weight kit. top tip!
I've never tried the US one, but I have a Crusader and my problem with it is that it really doesn't stack together that well. The cup on the bottom of the water bottle is fine, but the little burner thing sits rather awkwardly and never seems to quite nest fully. You would need to get a lid to stand any chance of boiling water (lots of people here make aluminium ones) and probably stick to hexi not green snot. To be honest the crusader is a decent mug to replace to plastic one as it fits beneath the bottle, but not so sure about the whole system (I believe the military only use the mug)

I now use this:

IMGP2142-1.jpg
IMGP2143-1.jpg

which is a cheap nalgene type bottle, a Gelert Ascent 1 cookset and a tin that I drilled a few holes in and added some tent pegs to make a cooker.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s.../quality-gelert-ascent-1-anodised-546318.html
http://www.millets.co.uk/product/114524.html

It all fits really easily into a PLCE utilty pouch (to which I have added a couple of straps (ok, its webtex!)), with plenty of room to spare.

img_0145-1.jpg

infact it fits better than the Crusader stuff does. To be honest the hardest part was finding a wide enough tin!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I use a crusader cup, with the US cooker!

the crusader cup = stainless steel.
the us cooker = aluminium.

i just put the crusader cup on the us cooker and hit it with a hammer! the US cooker now fits my crusader cup!

Reactions: Brizzlebush

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Here's my crusader kit it fits in the 44" water bottle pouch (the middle pouch):
SASescapewebbingjanuary09.png

aluminium home made lid (I now have a painted black one).
coke can stove (black next to bottle),
58" waterbottle, (has a rubber on the lid, gives grip as it's sometimes difficult to open)
Crusader cup "non stick" has cut car tyre band around it stops the handles/lid/cooker jangling about in the pouch),
and US cooker(black below cup with holes in).

why black? partly so it does not shine at passing dog walkers, but also going on the theory that black absorbs heat I'm hoping that the cooker/burner/lid it will heat up quicker.
Can't prove it but I think it works.

Last edited:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
These have come out for the USGI mug. I wish they did a Crusader version. Does anyone still do '85 mugs?? I have 2 for the kids sets and with 2 metal mugs on top /base I think the UKMil version is the best overall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE