Crusader Cup Lid?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
The Crusader cup canteen lid

i know they have been mentioned in the past,
but they seem to be either non existant or very rare(i'm assuming the former).

can anyone direct me to a recent sighting?

if not how would one go about making a lid of simular material that also fits into the same pouch?

i have used foil in the past but it would be nice to have a more robust lid that did not fall off in the wind or get torn!

any metal workers out there that could advise?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I made one from an old tin plate.

Place mug in centre and draw round it add 1/4 inch for the lip.

Cut out with tin snips.

File off burrs and sharp edges.

Use pliers or a pin hammer to bend over lip.

Drill a whole in the centre and insert a small loop of wire to act as a handle and to allow steam to escape.

One simple lid -

I'll put up a picture of mine next time I get my box out on a course which is where I usually demo it.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Try a 3mm piece of solid wood flooring and use the mug as an outline. Leave a 5mm overlap with one corner left square as a small handle. Use a dremel or the tip of a drill to cut a groove that matches the lip of the mug to help stop it slipping off. Drill a hole in the 'handle' for a loop, and a notch the size of half a 2P at the opposite end to act as a draining hole, round of the edges and oil with teak oil or similar. You then have an insulating lid as well as a chopping board and a drainer.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
This is a screen grab from one of RM`s Tracks programs - Its his version of a lid and used the back of his knife to `pop` the lid off.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
That lid of Ray's looks distinctly DIY.

If you do decide to try forming one from aluminium sheet you will get on better if you anneal the metal first. To do this rub soap over one side of it, like a child scribbling with a wax crayon, then apply heat to the ather side. As soon as you see the soap turn black quench the metal in a bucket of water. You should now be able to bend the edge over without too much effort, and without the metal cracking.

Cheers :wave:
Dave

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
you're right, the lid does look just like the back of a mess tin!

so is it just a myth or can you buy them?

i don't think i have the right tools or enough of them to attempt a DIY lid though my father in law does, saying that my brother does too, i shall ask him!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just had a thought could the same process be used to make a Mess tin lid? or is it too square?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Rich,

I think you could make a lid for almost anything with a large enough bit of ally and a wooden former to beat it over. I had to make all sorts of cases when I did my engineering apprenticeship (a long time ago now!)
If the metal starts to become difficult to work, simply repeat the annealing.

Cheers,

Dave

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A friend made a lid for my large mess tin with a spare mess tin I had lying around. I let him do it as he had previous experience and I didn't want to mess it up. If I had a whole bunch of spare ones I would have given it a try.

He had previously done it for a set of mess tins very similar to brit mess tins (I think they were scandinavian, somewhere like that), but the handle plate was mounted slightly lower. This is the small insignificant problem with a mess tin lid. He cut the mess tin so that it is about half an inch deep, and then slightly bent the edge out so that it fits over the mess tin, but he had to bend the edge that fits over the handle plate out more. This then doesn't give a complete seal, but unless you're after a pressure cooker it doesn't really matter. He finished it off with a small canvas bag that closes with two press studs, manufactured for holding a set of mess tins.

It is a handy piece of kit, as you can use it with a trangia pan handle as a frying pan, it stops bugs and twigs dropping in your brew (unless you like that sort of thing!), and it weighs practically nothing. And it stops everything falling out of the mess tins when packed. Well worth it if you don't mind chopping up a spare mess tin!!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
if you anneal the metal first. To do this rub soap over one side of it

which side do you "anneal" the outer side that you are beating?, or the inner that is not beaten?

then apply heat to the other side
what sort of heat? domestic cooker? blow torch?

You should now be able to bend the edge over without too much effort, and without the metal cracking.

so will i get smooth edges like on the corners of a mess tin or will it be folded/creased?

one day i will be a metal worker! :rolmao:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
You anneal metal you want to beat into shape, as it makes it easy to work. You apply heat up to 800 C, and then let it cool slowly. You'll need a forge or decent blowtorch to get it to this temperature. It'll be as smooth or creased as you make it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i should at this point tell you i have scrounged an old baking tray made of tin or steel(it has rust).
i have looked for an aluminium tray or sheet but can't find one.
would i be better of looking for some? is alluminium alot easier to work with?

i bought some tin snips a snip at £1 (poundland)!

i now have the basic shapes cut out and i'm waiting for the use of some tools to cut wooden blocks and an angle grinder to get it all neat!

i'm actually looking forward to making it!

and i've figured out it will also fit in a PLCE waterbottle pouch, right at the bottom! the contents so far in my pouch:

58 waterbottle.
58 plastic mug
crusader cup canteen
crusader cup cooker
lexan spoon
millbanks bag

soon no ash or bugs in my drinks! :super:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Rich,

When I've annealled aluminium its been by very gently wafting a blow torch across the side without the soap, until the soap goes black, then quench in water.
As for the rim itself, make it deeper than you need, then trim it back as it will grow longer at the corners as you work it round. I would use files and hand tools rather than a grinder.

If you take ally to 800 degrees you will have a puddle to deal with!

Good luck with it, and take your time.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE