Crosscut saw boot find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I managed to pick this up at the car boot this morning..(the saw not the trailer:p)
_MG_8337.jpg
its 3 feet long, the handles are full of woodworm holes, and at some point it looks like someone has tried to modify it, so it could be used in the same configuration as a bow saw, with a crude cut out in each handle.:confused:
_MG_8338.jpg
but it was all of a quid!!
cucumber.gif
I couldn't get my money out fast enough:lmao:
Has anyone got any tips on refurbishment? the handles appear to be loose (as well as rotten) and need replacing , are they just an interference fit? other than that the blade looks good :cool:
thanks for looking
Mike

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice find for a squid!

I'd scrub the blade with wire wool or a washing up scrubbing pad to remove the corrosion, using some emery paper/flatwheel on a drill if its badly pitted. The handles look like a push fit, a reasonably easy job to replace with a nice piece of ash dowel and a chisel to cut the mortice.

By the looks of it, it wont work well without a brace-the blade will distort in use and the handles could snap off if the blade binds. The ring notch in the top of the handle looks ideal to hold the cord.

Sharpen the blade with a triangular file and rub some candle wax onto the blade to make it glide through the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE