Crayfish & mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yippee! My crayfish licence and tags have arrived! Time to go get those little critters before the winter sets in. I saw some monsters this evening as well. (Don't worry peeps, I have legal pots and permission off the land owner).

As a bigger bonus, as I was walking back through the forest I found this beautiful jewel......

37b4cb6e4382b377751194d9acd58e90.jpg

But as my dinner was already on the heat, I left it untouched. Maybe next year it will be back. In my experience they normally are!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
DELICIOUS.
Yes, sorry, I am shouting. It is so good!
And very rare.

I love it, cut up in smaller pieces, gently fried in lots of butter. Salt.

Scoff with a quality bread, type Pain Rustique.

( I am so jealous of you! :) )

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been looking for one of these for years! Never found one. Lucky old you! What a feast you'll have! I would not be leaving it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yippee! My crayfish licence and tags have arrived! Time to go get those little critters before the winter sets in. I saw some monsters this evening as well. (Don't worry peeps, I have legal pots and permission off the land owner).
Is there a green of envy emoji? I love crayfish! :)

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
DELICIOUS.
Yes, sorry, I am shouting. It is so good!
And very rare.

I love it, cut up in smaller pieces, gently fried in lots of butter. Salt.

Scoff with a quality bread, type Pain Rustique.

( I am so jealous of you! :) )
Haha. I'll be going mushroom hunting next week. I may take a piece of the cauliflower fungus as well. I should be able to find some boletus mushrooms as well. I know a few spots where they should be. If I do get a modest haul (I don't like to be greedy!) My favorite way to cook foraged mushrooms is pan fried in butter then a few slivers of mature cheese melted in and a generous twist of black pepper!

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would take it all......
I know, I know, but the next picker would take the rest anyway... :)

Those are rare, I think I have found less than a dozen during 50 years of picking funghi.

If you are lucky to find large, but not fly larvae infested Ceps, cut them in thick slices, then cook like a Schnitzel.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Woody Girl,
there are definitely Cauliflours in your area, a friend of mine lives on the edge of Exmoor and finds loads. Have a look at the bases of Scots pine.
Scots Pines. South facing base of the tree. I've found three in one year. Once I found the first one (by stumbling across it) I looked in similar spots. If the soil is sandy it appears to be favourable.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
What is that ? I saw a smaller one last weekend but
Didn't know what it was.
If it's small, leave it for a few weeks then revisit. It will be much bigger. Then cut a small peice off for lunch!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I took my nephew (8) and niece (5) over a little footbridge in a small town in Haute Vienne. I saw some trout and told the kids to look for the fish in the river.

Niece looked down and said "there's a a lobster!"

I couldn't see it at first, until she described which rock it was half under.

Whereupon nephew started singing "Rock Lobster"...

It was a bloody big crayfish.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I took my nephew (8) and niece (5) over a little footbridge in a small town in Haute Vienne. I saw some trout and told the kids to look for the fish in the river.

Niece looked down and said "there's a a lobster!"

I couldn't see it at first, until she described which rock it was half under.

Whereupon nephew started singing "Rock Lobster"...

It was a bloody big crayfish.
I found these crays by looking at the river and thinking 'well it looks likely' so I lobbed in a peice of cheese and left it for ten minutes. When I went back a big cray was chomping down on it. I threw some more cheese in. Ten minutes later, more crayfish. Well that's it then. They're on the menu!

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE