Crampballs' coal fungus' king alfed cakes..??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got a few that I collected recently, do people just use a whole one (they are only an inch or less across) as a firelighter/bit of tinder, or cut into smaller bits (quite hard and brittle though) ?

Cheers, Paul

One inch wide, I'd cut into about six pieces.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Mushrooms, very unpredictable things, i pick a lot, and never over pick any one area and some years there are tuns about and the next year when I thing it's been the perfect spring or the summer weather been perfect for a good season nothing., who knows, just pick them when the chance presents itself up North with Acid soils or down South perhaps with a lime rich geology and climatic variations thereare pethaps to many variables, good luck though.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I picked a couple up while out walking the dog the other day, a few miles east of Durham city.

Having just read the thread, I was checking people's locations because fungi growth is governed by climate and humidity. As the cramp balls (fruiting body) develop quickly, maybe this season of warm and damp has brought them to areas where they don't normally thrive?

I'm right down south and as soon as I see the fungus on the large Ash stems I have lying on the ground for firewood, I start to fret. The fungus turns the wood very spongy.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Plenty on the birch around peterborough area. PM me and we can trade something.
I can get loads of these. Normally have to dry them out before they are usable.

forest hermit

Mar 24, 2014
barnsley
Anston stones wood is full of crampballs it's near Worksop and Sheffield on the a57 . It's a great ancient woodland with a huge variety of trees fungi and plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE