Course recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Hi

I manage a small team of IT consultants and I think that a few days "bushcrafting" would do them a world of good.

Could anyone recommend any suitable courses?

Thanks in advance.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
natural lore do some good courses if you go to members list and pm fenlander .his courses are verry good I am sure he can help you out :)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
You could try Bearclaw......the Essex boys have a world of experience and do D of E and corporate stuff too.....

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Very Naughty Chris :nono: recommending and posting a link to your own School, you know the BCUK rules are very clear about this:

6 Advertising:
Guidelines for Commercial companies, Distributors, craftsmen, retailers, schools and website owners:

Advertising is not permitted on the Bushcraft UK forum, outside the makers market and the commercial sales areas (these areas are governed by their own set of rules and guidelines.)

Overtly commercial language pertaining to products in which you have a vested commercial interest is not acceptable.

Members should not post links to their own commercial ventures, websites or forums.
Links to such websites in signatures are permissible (at the discretion of BCUK admin) as long as this is not abused and a clearly visible reciprocal link to Bushcraft UK is placed on the website to which the link points.

We do like to see genuine resources made available to our members, if you are a new company/website or have a new product/service which you think would be of interest to the membership of Bushcraft UK, please contact the administration via info@bushcraftuk.com who will (at there discretion) make an announcement on your behalf.

Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid any confusion.

General guidelines for making posts in which you intend to make reference to your own products are as follows:

1. Do not under any circumstances make reference to your own products unless a member has requested information with regards to your product specifically or made a factually incorrect statement about your product or you feel a post must be made in the interests of public safety.

2. Only post your response in the thread in which the query or error/safety issue exists and respond to the query/error/safety issue with a single post.

3. Clearly state that you are a representative of the company at the start of your post

4. Provide only information which is clear, factually correct and serves solely to answer the query or address the error/safety issue

5. Provide the information in an unbiased manner ensuring that you make no statements inferring superiority to any other product

6. Do not under any circumstances make reference to any other manufacturers products or services

7. If you are in any doubt as to the legitimacy of your post, send a copy of the post to an administrator or moderator requesting advice, even if you feel that your post conforms to these guidelines it is generally good practice to inform the admin of your intention to make reference to your products on the forum, in many cases it is more appropriate for the administration to make the statement on your behalf.

Any post which makes reference to your own products or services, which does not conform to the above guidelines will be regarded as an overtly commercial post and will be removed as could membership.

I am sure a moderator will be along soon to remove your link, but for now you'll have to make do with negative rep from me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I take it from your post Bambodoggy that you dont do any work for bearclaw then?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Stuart said:
I take it from your post Bambodoggy that you dont do any work for bearclaw then?

Nope, not in any way shape or form....never have and most likely never will. I'm too busy running Stump and Grind Ltd and training my new dogs! lol

I've helped out when people have asked me about canoeing when on the Vildmark trips but it wasn't formal and certainly wasn't paid...I'm a BCU level 3 canoe coach and level 2 kayak coach and so am more than happy to help anybody with their canoeing at anytime and any place.

Many thanks for reminding me to point that out...I did it on the Swedish course thread but forgot to mention it on this one.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

(P.s. hope you didn't mind me providing a link to you to supply people with Speedhooks the other day ;) ).

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Stuart and buckshot, apologies, my mistake

I thought it was okay putting forward a course reccommendation as requested by bosun, I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to post the link to it.

I don't actually own or work for any of the links posted, although I do work in a well known outdoor centre here in the lakes, which I have never posted a link to.

Just a happy customer.

Apologies, I won't post these links again

Chris :)

Reactions: bambodoggy

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
So you don’t work for bearclaw, but have assisted them on an informal basis?

The BCUK rules and guidelines suggest that you are prohibited from promoting an associates business even if he does not formally employ you:

6 Advertising:
Guidelines for BushcraftUK members:

It is perfectly acceptable for you to post information and links for products and services you feel would be of interest to other members, provided they are not of vested commercial interest to yourself or your associates.

I would have thought it a point of personal ethics not to recommend a company owned by your friends, and leave such recommendations to people who have attended the schools on a strictly student only basis with no past association to the owner and therefore no inherent bias.

bambodoggy said:
(P.s. hope you didn't mind me providing a link to you to supply people with Speedhooks the other day ;) ).

a thoughtful if misinformed gesture, the link you provided was not to me, I have not been involved in the supply of speedhooks for quite some time

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Stuart said:
Very Naughty Chris :nono: recommending and posting a link to your own School, you know the BCUK rules are very clear about this:

I am sure a moderator will be along soon to remove your link, but for now you'll have to make do with negative rep from me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here we go again.......more bad feelings which do not appear to be necessary......given that Chris has stated that he was just a happy customer of the school in question, at the very least should not the "negative rep" be withdrawn? :confused:

The issue of which schools people may or may not mention on these pages is also something which brings more bad feeling. I have direct experence as a course member of two schools and the content and social side of both were of high quality. You're almost saying that a course member can be construed as an associate and through enthusing about an experience, I could be breaching forum rules? I think we could point up loads of inconsistencies here and all that will happen is that disputes will break out yet again.

The forum has been pleasantly free from this kind of accusation for quite a while now and people are sensible enough to make their own judgements. I hope this kind of stuff goes away again so people can enjoy their own enthusiasms without having to consider which schools they can mention and which they can't :(

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
You're almost saying that a course member can be construed as an associate and through enthusing about an experience, I could be breaching forum rules?

no I am saying that close freinds and dinking buddys of school owners should not be advertising their associates schools, just as the rules state.

still I think this is a matter for the Moderators, so lets leave it to them.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Sorry Stuart but I'm not really following you. On both of the occations I helped course members and not the course itself, more over I was a paying student on both trips and nothing more. Are you saying that if you were on a course and somebody asked you to show them how to build a particular trap, which is I believe your speciality, you would decline for fear of being "associated" with the course provider? ? ? :confused:

By your own interpretation of those rules anybody that has paid and been on a course is guilty of association and therefore unable to provide infomation on their recomendations to anybody on this forum.....which begs the question of how can a course be recomended by only people that haven't been on it? ? ? :confused:

Your logic has me baffled.

Sorry about the Speedhooks thing, it's good of you to correct me.

Bam. :)

leon-1

Right folks before this gets out of hand could I ask all parties to firstly calm down. This could be an explosive subject, one reason being that when you do courses people tend to stick with schools and instructors that work for them, another being that if you spend enough time on courses with one specific school you may become friends with the instructors.

This does not however mean that the view being given is not objective and could we all please keep this in mind.

Secondly can we return to the topic in hand, the question has been asked about courses and the recommendation by people that have done them.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Are you not a friend of the instructors of bearclaw bam? Do you not meet with them regularly outside of being as you claim 'a student'

regardless of the interpretation of the rules, I think the people jumping into threads like this and 'recomending' schools because they work for them or have a freind who does makes a mockary of the rules preventing people from promoting there own schools. All they have to do is ask there friends to post on their behalf.

making it imposible for somone to get an unbiased and honest recommendation

My opinion, and one as you so often point out Bambodoggy I am entitled to voice

Perhaps we should leave any decisions on this to the moderating staff

Reactions: Mr Cake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE