Countryside Fire Awareness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Due to the countryside fires ravaging the length of the country,I thought I,d put my old hat on. Here,s a link with good advice http://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/countryside.htm.
If possible include map coordinates, landmarks when contacting emergency services.
Another mobile phone emergency number worth knowing is 112. It's an emergency number like 999, but if phoned from a mobile it allows the emergency services to quickly triangulate your position, some phone services use this number so check your network.
As a wee guage a hectacre is 100x100 metres and a horizon is 3 miles from level ground eye level. The best help you could possibly do is meet the emergency services at the most accesible point for their vehicles approach.
Don,t be a hero and never go above a fire if in the hills, have fun but be careful.

phil(I know I,m retired but I can,t help it)

Last edited:

Balanophage

Apr 11, 2011
UK
www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk
I suspect it depends where you are in the average year. But given that it's so dry this year, and that this forum's full of people who go out into forests (and therefore might spot a fire first), it's useful info to have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE