Counselling, Bushcraft and Kids!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of future career guidance - I'm sure a few folks on here can help point me in the right direction!

I'm planning to end my current career with the next 3-5 years. After that I'd like to work with school ages kids with difficulties and combine this with bushcraft/outdoor work. I want to do this full time if possible.

I'm trying to find people or organisations that already do this so I can plan my training and experience gathering over the remaining period. I've had some basic counselling training, i'm a certified NLP practitioner, parent , etc. :D

I know the pay is poor and the hours can be worse - I'm fully prepared for that and its not an issue for me. It's time to put back what i've taken out. :)

So, the main questions;

1) What qualifications do I need to get, both minimum and desirable?

2) What experience would I need to be able to demonstrate? and where would I look to gain this in the interim?

3) Do you know of any people or organisations that already do this kind of work - I've heard of "last chance kids" being invited onto such courses with good results - coming back with raised self esteem, new skills, and better equiped for life.

Thanks,

Rich.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look for information on Forest Schools.
Sometimes called Forest Schools Initiative.
There's an organised adult leaders training programme that might be of interest to you.

atb,
Toddy

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I teach mostly 13-18 year olds full time - in career terms get as much experience voluntarily or otherwise as you can try to get better wages for it even if it doesn't help you get the job!
Be prepared to work stupidly hard especially at the hoop jumping box ticking kind of work - it is the bane of my life.
And remember they'll be pretty mad!

BlueRuby

May 19, 2010
Wilts
I am also interested in combining couselling with Bushcraft somehow and am wondering what's about in this area. I've studied counselling for a couple years (and will continue to) and realise I would rather be outside helping others than stuck in a room doing so. Just wondering what avenues there might be in this field and any recommendations for volunteering that may be of use. I haven't yet checked the links below, just expressing an inrterest at this point - my delightful little monsters demanding my time right now. I'll look properly later.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
My knowledge isn't entirely up to date but Barnardos always used to need Summer Volunteers to help with day centre activities. Enhanced CRB was a must!

Best Wishes
David

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I work in a vaguely similar field, It'd be worth considering some sort of social enterprise aspect to raise funds. Charitable trust are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Notice your north London based. May not be relevant as you have done some counselling but I was looking at a foundation course (they run others) with http://www.minstercentre.org.uk to support some work I would like to do with a charity in the future.

I would think a first aid qualification would be essential - I did the bcuk advanced explorer first aid course with forest knights this year. I recall a couple of people working with kids with difficulties in the outdoors on that course - actually I think Wayne (the founder of) had been involved in similar to what you are looking to do.

Good luck, Matt.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
A good foundation for working with kids outdoors would be the Forest Schools leader course plus a either a Basic Expedition Leader cert or Mountain Leader qualification. Decent outdoor first aid course plus you will need to be enhanced CRB checked

Most providers will be looking for experience so look at the voluntary sector as a route to gain knowledge and hard fought experience.

It's not so much fun when a young person is shouting at you at 3am. Can be very rewarding though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As you have some basic counselling skills perhaps look at a more focused course such as Behavioural Cognitive Therapy which works well in group settings and is a bit 'different' from standard counselling courses which everybody seems to do or have these days. Good luck to you, its a fine goal you have there.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
A good foundation for working with kids outdoors would be the Forest Schools leader course plus a either a Basic Expedition Leader cert or Mountain Leader qualification. Decent outdoor first aid course plus you will need to be enhanced CRB checked

Most providers will be looking for experience so look at the voluntary sector as a route to gain knowledge and hard fought experience.

It's not so much fun when a young person is shouting at you at 3am. Can be very rewarding though.

That's exactly what I have done over the last couple of years. Been a long (but brilliant) haul & now it is bearing fruit.

Go for it, you'll not look back.

All the best.

Hi Rich,

I'm also just about to run my first workshop doing something very similar, although I'm intending to work more with adults rather than children.

I don't know exactly what level of training you have, but you probably have enough to get started. Although it never does any harm to do some more. :) As people have already mentioned a CRB check is essential if you are going to work with kids.

You might want to chat to Geoffrey McMullan from Pathfinder UK, who has been doing this sort of work for years. His contact details and information about his Natural Awareness For Counsellors course is here http://wildernesstherapy.me.uk/

Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE