Coracle

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Some weeks ago I purchased some ash lathes, calico and instructions from Terry Kenny, Newport Coracles. Finally last weekend I had a chance to start putting it all together.

I started with the seat and wooden supports that keep the bottom flat.

P7080011.jpg

Two lathes together helped to form the shape of the gunwales section

P7080037.jpg

First rib in place, and that turned out to be the easy bit!

P7080057.jpg

Few more stretchers bent up to the front, or is that the back?

P7080064.jpg

More ribs

P7080068.jpg

Eventually after much cursing, broken lathes and a very steep learning curve the main frame was complete

P7080073.jpg

P7080083.jpg

I could not resist a dry run, I suspect this will be the driest run yet!

P7080076.jpg

Frame all painted up ready for calico and bitumen paint
P7120091.jpg

Calico all tightened, sewn and stapled to the gunwales

P7140103.jpg

3 coats of bitumen paint and ready for final outwales and inwales and a bit of finishing off

P7140118.jpg

P7150154.jpg

All completed and ready for maiden voyage!

P7150158.jpg

Nigel

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Nice one Nigel

Don't know about the sea worthiness of a coracle usually used for river crossing laying nets traps and carrying sheep.

Will be very interested to know how you get on.

Good luck Pothunter.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Wow!, looks like you've done a fantastic job! Cant wait to see it on the water! Great step by step photos too! This is another thing im going to have to make!

Many thanks

Jon
I did take a whole load of pictures that where very step-by-step and will put in a album over the weekend. It was easy to make and I would recommend the instructions available form Terry or have a look at this link here for a ply wood one or more traditional? I am going to bring it to the moot as well if anyone fancies a go!!

I hope to launch the thing this week, I wont be taking any sheep with me for the maiden voyage though! :eek:

Nigel

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looks like a job well done there fella let us all know how you got on with your first voyage.:)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Looks like a job well done there fella let us all know how you got on with your first voyage.:)

OK, thanks!!

So the day of the maiden voyage arrived and my misses came along to watch and dutifully take some photos of the action.

Looks water tight?

P7190022.jpg

Confidently I jumped in and set off for the first paddle

P7190024.jpg

Goes really well

P7190027.jpg

Off up the creek

P7190040.jpg

So stable Hannah jumped right in as well

P7190033.jpg

Short video of the first few minutes here (may be available later, just uploaded!)

Nigel

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Looks to have worked a treat. Hope you have many memorable trips in it, love the photos.

Simon.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
No he did'nt! Timinwales and i were talking to Nigel about it the first night we were there but we thought it might not be such a good idea as the strong current and tidal fluctuations would probably have him in Somerset before lunchtime. Good idea if you fancy cider but not so clever if you've left your van in South Wales!:rolleyes:

I had a mental picture of him trying to hitch along the M4 with a coracle strapped to his back, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles go Bushcraft, with his thumb stuck out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE