Copper wire

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
What do you use it for?

I have seen this on various lists for survival tins. Is there any (or a multitude) of use over steel wire?

Sorry for my ignorance :eek:

Cheers

Mike

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Snares - I think.

Probably. It doesn't corrode as fast as steel wire and gets stiffer over time but can be made maleable again by a quick blast of low heat.(eg a burning sheet of newspaper)Steel wire tends to snap if you bend it about too much and you need pliers or similar to make tight bends.

burning

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2006
nw uk
Snares as mentioned above, can also be used to ignite tinder if there is a powerful enough battery around ie 6-12v dc useful if you get stuck in the car eh.(use common sense when shorting the wires, never use bare hands to do this)

can also be made into pretty jewelry for lost tribes but I don't go through Indonesia much :p

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The main use for wire (copper, brass, or iron/steel) is to bind things together or to hang things over a fire. Yes, snares were/are made from them, but do take a little learning/knowledge to make and use. And copper/brass wire just doesn't rust, or corrode as fast as iron/steel. Copper wire tends to be softer than brass, and both tend to be softer than iron/steel. But all can be hardened up if necessary.

The old lists of trade goods for the Indians in North America showed a lot of copper/brass wire being shipped out to the tribes. They used it for all the uses already listed, but also used it to wrap knife handles to hold them together, and as decoration on tomahawk handles and pipe stems.

Having some wire along is kind of like having some cord/rope/fish-line along. Once you have it along, you will be finding more and more times to use it.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Cheers for your answers :)

This is why I like this forum so much!

I've never used snares, and don't plan to in the nearer future.

But I did find, in the past, that steel wire is a pain to manipulate (esp. with cold fingers!).

So I'll give copper wire a go!

Mike

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A good source for thin copper wire would be the local garden supply or flower shop. Look for "floral wire". At this time of the year, a lot gets used to wrap and wire up those Christmas wreathes. It is usually colored green to blend in with plants. A lot of it is copper, but some brands might just be iron. It is pretty similar in size and flexibility to those twist ties on bread sacks.

The thicker the wire, the harder it will be to bend/twist - no matter what material it is.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE