Copper mugs/measures? Any idea of original use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
A friend bought a job lot of antique stuff - loads of old tobacco tins, medicine packages etc - included came these:

530527_456467571079800_1347172528_n.jpg1/2 pint, 1 & 2 pints marked on them. Anyone an idea on their original use? Thinking they'd make really nice billys, or even for kitchen use.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Likely for measuring beer in pubs - originally many people supplied their own mugs and beer was sold using measures. I have a full set of pewter spirit measures that are mug shaped in fractions of a gill. They could be kitchen measures though - they don't look very pub like.

Please don't break those up. Sell them to a collector - like me!

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have seen identical repro kitchen measures in the US. What is their actual capacity to the brim?

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Likely for measuring beer in pubs - originally many people supplied their own mugs and beer was sold using measures. I have a full set of pewter spirit measures that are mug shaped in fractions of a gill. They could be kitchen measures though - they don't look very pub like.

Please don't break those up. Sell them to a collector - like me!

Don't know if they're selling yet - the buyer bought a job lot of stuff to use for creating settings for her photography business. Was thinking of them as cookwear of some kind. If they decide to sell them I'll put you in touch though if you want. scratch that - she's in love with them and they're going in her kitchen. They're going to send me pics of the other copperware they're for selling though Red.

They bought a job lot in an auction from a doll's museum apparently & got a far bigger amount of stuff than they expected.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If they were for weights and measures I'd have thought they would have had an official stamp? Whatever, they are nice and I hope they are used, too good to waste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE