Cooking Kit Question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kroozin

Sep 2, 2009
North East England, Teesside.
Hiya Bushcrafters !

I bought a Coleman F1 Stove what works brilliantly...

F1spirt1.jpg

And used this pan set...

41%2BCBfMwW8L._SS500_.jpg

And have managed to destroy one pan because i had the flame too hot. So I bought a new pan, used a really low flame. And Still got a marked heat spot on the pan. The Pans are steel with a copper base.

I guess I'm using rubbish pans, so what pan set should I use?

Should I use something like these "Hard Anodised Aluminium"

41rg3rTj5vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks
James

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Any will prob ruin if left to heat with no contents but Aldi do a 3 set pan for £8,its dynamite cant praise it enough,only downer is the pot lifter (handle) is crappy

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Thats amazing kobber bottoms is made for that exact reason on pans because there is often litle water to keep the temperature down when you fry.
What did you cock?
How did you cock it?
What is a heat spot really??
Alumium frying pans change shape fast on campfires if hard ionised improves it so much so its better than steel and even kobber i doubt it.
I primaryly use duosal sadly its very rare now adays and the pots i have dont fit all my needs :(

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
James,
can I ask what you were cooking please? Under normal conditions, the water content of the food should keep pot temperatures down around the 100 C mark.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I`m also curious to how you managed to destroy a stainless steel pan frying food.
I have a similar/same set from Eagle Sharp. I`ve crushed the plastic from the handles though.
And I use them directly in the fire without destroying them.

Tor

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I use anodised pans on a similar stove and haven't had any problems, including frying etc.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
We cook on campfires and on a single burner stove all summer, so we have learned a lot by trial and error...we have decided that the one thing not to
save weight on is the fry pan....cast iron is too heavy to take on our canoe trips, but a thick-bottom stainless steel pan like restaurants use is about
half the weight of cast iron, and no amount of heat will ever warp it; and the other factor being that food doesn't stick so easily on a proper pan
because of the improved heat dispersion.

SANY0032.jpg

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I use an F1 as a part of my base cooker group and have never had any problems with simmer or other flame control using a Tefal aluminium saucepan, Snow Peak titanium pans and frying pans, MSR titanium pans and kettle, Jetboil 1.5lt pan and frypan or Primus Eta Power 2.1lt pan.

Simmer control, frequent checking and the use of the spatula and spoon have always done the job for me.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
msr alpine set in stainless are very very good mine has been used in open fires and all manor of stoves with no problems and for around £30 there great value aswell

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nowt wropng with a warped pan if it will still do the job. Are you really sure they're destroyed or are you finding excuses for new kit? I do that a lot myself so nowt wrong with that either. :D

Kroozin

Sep 2, 2009
North East England, Teesside.
Nowt wropng with a warped pan if it will still do the job. Are you really sure they're destroyed or are you finding excuses for new kit? I do that a lot myself so nowt wrong with that either. :D

haha! The pan was beyond use, it even started to rust.

I have gone out an bought this set today:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-backpack-2-camping-pans-p142522

Tested out how to pans sat on the stove, they fit the arms of the stove really well.
Tested out the 2nd largest pan boiling water on different size flames. Pan didnt show any sign of wear at all.

The only thing i found strange was as the water came to a boil and i got large bubbles at the bottom of the pan, there was a strange noise as if the pan was vibrating. Then the bubbles would come and go. Maybe it was because it was slightly windy and i didnt use a wind shield. I may try again tomorrow with some soup/noodles :)

Very tempted to write a review of the pans so far.

Thanks
James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE